Friday, June 12, 2015

A Pain in the Back

On this Friday, “Cat,” one of the store’s senior shoppers, had just stopped by my door with a full shopping cart of groceries. She needed to exit “the grocery-side” doors I was greeting at to take a quick bathroom break. Somehow, Cat and I always managed to consistently see each other whenever she was in the store. (Doesn’t that sort of sound like an unusual variation of a groupie?)
Before she left, we discussed her sore back that she had not gotten relief with the use of pain relief cream, heat wraps, or a brace. Surgery for her back had been discussed with one doctor.
He said a side effect to this operation would be her inability to ever walk again. She was meeting with another back doctor soon for a second opinion. I felt that was a wise thing to do. As Cat left for the ladies room, I knew what needed to be done.
My decision seemed like the thing God was burdening me to do. Usually this is not something I would do at this job. Most the time it was not appropriate, but it was different this time.
I didn’t think management (and especially my boss Brandon) would approve of my choice, but I wasn’t asking them to find out.  Cat returned to her cart. I asked her if I could say a prayer for her. Her response was, “it sure couldn’t hurt?”
As the two of us bowed our heads, my prayer to God was quiet, quick, and to-the-point. In the corner of my eye, I could see a steady stream of unwelcomed customers pouring through my doors.
I remember my heavenly plea going something like this: “Dear God, please take the pain away from Cat’s back. Help her to find a doctor that can do the surgery on her back without paralyzing her permanently. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.”
In just a few seconds, Cat had left and I was back to doing the job I was being paid for.  Have you ever felt lead to pray for someone in unusual circumstances? Did you follow through or chicken out?

You have no idea how your simple prayer could make a positive difference in the life of the person that desperately needs it. Let me ask you, “What have you got to lose?” “Nothing, but your pride” is the answer. Remember, you are desperately needed for this very important mission as a on-the-spot prayer warrior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...