Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Failure

I have never been a model diabetic. (I have never been successful at this important endeavor in my life.) love eating all the wrong kinds of food (at the wrong time of day).  I’ve taken diabetes nutritional classes, but always wonder which nurse is going to watch my eating habits 24/7.
Many diabetics are concerned with their feet. Mine are in good shape with hair growth (foot circulation), no numbness (in my feet), or neuropathy pain (like many needle pricks).
When my sugar readings are frequently high (200-300 when 120 is the norm), insulin is used to bring that number closer to what it should be. Insulin and I have a peculiar relationship. One day I can use one amount and my sugar reading changes to what it needs to be.
The next day I have a similar reading, and give myself the same amount of insulin to bring it to where it should be. Instead I bottom out (or dump) to a sugar reading that is way too low. The results are not good.
When I arrived at work twenty minutes before my 8am shift on Monday, 6/15/15, little did I know this workday was going to turn out to be almost identical (to the job training done at Life Care Alliance)
About forty-five minutes after my greeter start-time, that bad feeling I knew well as a diabetic started up. In attempts to get my high sugar reading from earlier that morning down, I’d obviously injected too much insulin.  I was sweating hard all over body, and felt like I was in a sauna. (I wished the majority of my clothes could come off to get some relief, but that definitely would not bring clientele into the store.)
The next thing to happen was the fuzzy feeling in my head where I really was having difficulty understanding my co-workers (and my wife I was communicating with on my cell phone).
In my weak attempts to stop the whole process, I squeezed the mandarin orange glucose gel into my mouth. Hopefully, everything would be better soon. It wasn’t working. I had never brought my glucometer to work to test my sugar.
That had worked before, but that wasn’t going to cut it now. The store did not have this contraption for employee use. (Before I took my glucose gel I estimated my sugar had been around 49. When I tested my sugar at home it was 79.)
I was soon told to sit down on a nearby bench with my face quite flushed to the shade of bright pink (as I am told). Bobbi had contacted guest services to make them aware of my issue who then made the manager in charge alert to my situation.
My wife had also told my daughter to be my chauffeur home leaving the Outlander in the parking lot. (The women at work told me I would absolutely not be driving home.)
These episodes make me very tired and hungry. Both needs were satisfied until I felt much better. Later that day, Allena (and I) went to work for her deli shift. From there, I picked up the family car, and got Bobbi and (her riders) from work.

I’m sure I don’t need to remind you that things often happen that we don’t expect (or want). In these situations, it’s always best to get back to a state of normalcy as soon as possible. Do you have limitations? What are they? Can they be exceeded, or do you need to live with them? I wish I had the answers for you, but I don’t even have that for myself. Only you can make the choice that is best for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...