Monday, April 20, 2015

The Pebble

Have you ever made a simple mistake that ballooned into much more than you imagined was possible. Likes ripples emanating from a pebble thrown into a pond, the result of your actions have turned into something you wish would vanish away.
A typical work week of standing and welcoming guests took place on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 7am to 2pm. My wife works on the facility that I retired from after my cancer diagnosis. Access to Bobbi’s job is by guard and identification badge.
Most mornings my wife picks up two other passengers that ride into work with her. That morning, I was dressed for work and was carrying the lunch I’d packed the night before. About a minute out Bobbi asks me if she should pull over for me to get my duffle bag out of the trunk of the car where my badge was.
 At that moment, I confessed the both my wallet and badge were at home. There were too many things to pick out, and I had just forgotten an essential part of the morning. I was so upset with myself knowing the confusion to happen very soon for both Bobbi and me.
I was dropped off at the visitor’s center (located before entering the complex) as my wife dropped off her friends. She came back, and gave me the car as she waited for a shuttle bus, which was running late.
By the time Bobbi got to her desk, a ride halfway to her destination from a kind stranger (as well as a brisk walk) had helped her to be only an hour late. For her to leave at her regular departure time, leave was required.
Luckily, I arrived at work a minute late by the time I clocked in. Leaving the visitor’s center always confuses me. Turning into what I thought was an exit, actually would have lead me back into an area I was unauthorized for without my retiree badge.
The security on duty got quite excited and vocal when they saw the direction I was about to turn. I even got a police car to hold back the multiple lanes of traffic as I exited. I know keep my retiree badge in the glove compartment of our car per the suggestion of one of our rider’s.

Can you see how my one innocent mistake had a chain reaction for my wife? Many times it happens this way. Your issue ripples into the lives of those who care about you. As much as someone might want to become completely independent of others, that’s next to impossible. You need others. What you do affects someone. Think about your actions, and make the results that come from an object of beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...