Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Amigo

When you work in a store (no matter your position), customers are the “bread and butter” that buy at the store, which eventually pay your salary.  That’s why I try to make everyone entering the store feel at home, respected, and cared for. I really do want them to have a great day.
When I see someone being disrespectful (in any form) to a customer, it infuriates me. Though I did not hear the conversation between an African American man (“Ollie”) waiting for an electric cart (an Amigo, past product name) and one of the Utility Workers (“Carl”), Carl’s body language and facial expression told me the outcome to this situation would not be good.
When Ollie got his electric cart, he made it known Carl was rather rude. Though Ollie tried to justify Carl’s actions, all I could do was apologize. After this, we went on to discuss why greeters at this store aren’t allowed to sit. I answered that it all had to do with looking professional. Ollie soon left to other parts of the store.
Since I could not see the badge (or remember the name) of the rude Utility Worker, the accurate physical description I gave our boss will probably do little good. I doubt any action will be taken. (Justice is not always served up in the way you want it to be.)
If you are in a customer service based job, you realize how your attitude affects everything. That’s the same way in life. People tend to do more for you when you are nicer than mean. We all have problems. Unless someone asks you specifically about them (or you are in counseling), keep them to yourself. Think before you verbally unload. Can this person handle all my junk, or will it push them over the edge? What’s best for them (not me).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...