Saturday, January 24, 2015

Rejected Assistance

I hope you won’t be upset with me sharing another great life lesson from the world of the part-time Utility Worker (Cart Retriever).My help has been refused many times in other jobs (as well as this position). The incident I’m about to mention was different. It felt a lot like a sucker punch to gut.
A young Asian mother with a baby securely attached to her with a papoose and a fidgety three year old boy (my estimate) in one hand and full cart in the other looked like she was totally stressed out. I knew she could use my assistance in loading her van. (I wanted to give her all help I could.) When I asked, the answer was “no.” I thanked her, and went on my way to continue doing my job. I wondered “why” to her reply. Did I say something wrong? Was her pride an issue? Did she need to demonstrate she was a capable mother?
When have your good intentions been unwanted in serving someone’s obvious need? Think back to your feelings and reaction. Were they positive or negative? Were you hurt, and felt like you were in the wrong? The important thing is the gesture. Whether your desire is fulfilled or not does not change the fact of your generous heart.

You can’t know why that individual rejected your aid. Possibly they have been disappointed by others, and didn’t wish to add you to that very long list. If they are handicapped, maybe they need to prove they can do it on their own. (You can understand valuing independent. Can’t you? ) Chances are you have nothing to do with they’re refusal of your help. Don’t ever give up on doing the right thing (no matter how many times you might be rejected).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...