Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Dream of Complete Honesty

What would it be like if total honesty with others was the norm, and something we didn’t avoid just to be nice. Will you just dream all about complete honesty in our world today with no repercussions? This is how I would respond to the situations below.
Aunt Thelma (Dad’s sister, 80’s) brings her horrendous applesauce cake to every family potluck. The bread is tough and smells like vomit. “Aunt Thelma, why do you keep bringing this terrible bread to every family get-together? It’s as hard as a brick, and smells like road kill. No one likes it. Is this the only thing you know how to bake? Next time buy a dessert from the grocery store. Our mouths (and throats) would appreciate it. I refuse to lie to you anymore about your applesauce cake saying it is delicious when the opposite is true.”
You are an Administrative Assistant at Grogan Computer Works. Your boss has absolutely no regard for you as a woman. He thinks the world revolves around him. “Don, I’ve had it with all your patting me on the butt, asking me to stay late whenever you please. I have kids and a husband that need me too. I only work here to pay bills. I dislike you tremendously. Why would you call someone in the hospital to ask about a client when they are getting ready to have gall bladder surgery? Do you have any brains, or an ounce of compassion? After all, I have been your PA for fifteen years now.”
You are in need of help with the housework. It has become overwhelming. Many times your spouse does nothing when he does assist the items are done incorrectly. “Jack, I will say it flat out. You are lazy. Get away from that TV. If you don’t help with this mountain of laundry, I’m bagging your stuff up for The National Kidney Services. I can kick your butt out of this house, and be a single mom if I have to. You think I’m joking. Just try me, and see what happens. I am completely on the edge.”

Hopefully none of these examples hit too close to home. Remember, the world you live now does have repercussions for talking like this. Absolute honesty can hurt feelings, conclude jobs, or separate marriages. Before opening your mouth, consider how your words will affect others. (Can you pay the cost?) Consider both the positive and negative of total honesty in your life. Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...