Thursday, December 24, 2020

Read and Study

 “Merely reading the Bible is no use at all without we study it thoroughly, and hunt it through as it were for some great truth.” (Dwight L. Moody)

For me, my time in the Bible is most meaningful when I have a purpose to do it. This involves me preparing to teach (and present it) to others in this blog, or in my small group at church. At these times, I am making sure I understand my message completely, so I can make it clear to my audience.  I am not a big proponent of daily Bible reading (and study) for me that becomes stale, forgetful, and too methodical. Though many would disagree with this approach, I refuse to read (and study) my Bible because that’s what a good Christian should do (and the church dictates). After all, where does it specifically say in the scripture as a Christian that I am required to read the Bible daily? 

“A Bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t.”  Everyone should take this quote by Charles Spurgeon to heart. I know the heavenly Father understands and loves His children completely. I believe you can be in tune with God’s directive by listening to what He is asking you to do.  God knows there will be seasons in your life where Bible reading (and study) is crucial.

 In other times because of the demands of life, Bible reading (and study) may not be as important as it could be.  Like any good parent, your heavenly Father wants to be sure you are in regular communication with Him (however that looks). Feeling guilty about not having daily Bible reading (and study) accomplishes nothing but a feeling of failure in your walk with God, which accomplishes nothing in the end.

Here are just a few ways you can study your Bible.  Try reading the entire Bible through in a year with a reading plan, a topic (like anger, apathy, or wisdom), a book of the Bible (like Romans, Genesis, or Philippians), or a character in the Bible (like David, Adam, or Queen Esther). If you are looking for daily wisdom, the book of Proverbs (in the old Testament) has thirty-one chapters, and can be easily read with the corresponding day of the month. I did this at one time, and it was a blessing.

Psalm 119:11(The Voice) says: Deep within me I have hidden Your word so that I will never sin against You. For some people memorizing is difficult. There are verses in the Bible (that can apply to many different situations), and are good to commit to memory (or at least to place on the memo pad of your cell phone).  One of those encouraging verses is Philippians 4:13 (ERV). My mom taught me and my siblings this verse during childhood by writing it on everything she could get her hands on (including school lunch bags). It was her way of telling us we could do anything (with God’s assistance). This verse simply says: Christ is the one who gives me the strength I need to do whatever I must do. Though Bible reading is vital in the life of a follower of Christ, listening to your heavenly Father when He needs you to do a job for Him is even more crucial. Do you hear Him calling your name at this moment?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...