Saturday, August 19, 2017

A Sacrifice

“If a commission by an earthly king is considered [an] honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?” (David Livingstone)

An anonymous author defined a missionary as “someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for eternity.” Below you will find many wonderful quotes that directly speak about the importance of missions, which is at the heart of the Heavenly Father’s love for this world. I pray they will bless (or challenge you):

1.       “A tiny group of believers who have the gospel keep mumbling it over and over to themselves. Meanwhile, millions who have never heard it once fall into the flames of eternal hell without ever hearing the salvation story.” (K.P. Yohannan)

2.     “And people who do not know the Lord ask why in the world we waste our lives as missionaries. They forget that they too are expending their lives... and when the bubble has burst they will have nothing of eternal significance to show for the years they have wasted.” (Nate Saint)

3.     “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." (Jim Elliot, missionary to Auca Indians in Ecuador)

4.     “I believe that in each generation God has called enough men and women to evangelize all the yet unreached tribes of the earth. It is not God who does not call. It is man who will not respond.” (Isobel Miller Kuhn)

5.     “I have but one passion - it is He, it is He alone. The world is the field and the field is the world; and henceforth that country shall be my home where I can be most used in winning souls for Christ.” (Nicolaus Zinzendorf)

6.    “Missionary service is not only a test of faith, but a real test of character.” (ElRay L. Christiansen)

7.     “Missionary work has never been easy, and yet the joyful rewards cannot be equaled by any other experience… Love for the Lord, love for His servants the missionaries. Missionary work is a work of love and trust, and it has to be done on that basis.” (Gordon B. Hinckley)

8.     “Missionary zeal does not grow out of intellectual beliefs, nor out of theological arguments, but out of love.” (Roland Allen)

9.     “Missionary zeal does not grow out of intellectual beliefs, nor out of theological arguments, but out of love. If I do not love a person I am not moved to help him by proofs that he is in need; if I do love him, I wait for no proof of a special need to urge me to help Him.” (Roland Allen)

10. “Missions is the overflow of our delight in God because missions is the overflow of God's delight in being God.” (John Piper)

11.     “Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell. I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of Hell.” (Charles Studd)

12.  “The best remedy for a sick church is to put it on a missionary diet.” (David Livingstone)

13.  “The command has been to "go," but we have stayed - in body, gifts, prayer and influence. He has asked us to be witnesses unto the uttermost parts of the earth... but 99% of Christians have kept puttering around in the homeland.” (Robbie Savage)

14. The Great Commission is not an option to be considered; it is a command to be obeyed.” (Hudson Taylor)

15.  “When I moved into one of the worst inner-cities in America to do missionary work I had to do risk assessment, and It was a risk. My family could have been in danger, house could get robbed at any minute but I count it all as nothing compared to knowing Jesus it was all worth it at the end of the day.” (LeCrae)

16. You must not allow yourselves to become discouraged. Missionary work brings joy, optimism, and happiness. Don't give Satan an opportunity to discourage you. Here again, work is the answer. The Lord has given us a key by which we can overcome discouragement: "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Ezra Taft Benson)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...