Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A Change of Plans

A friend of the family’s texted my wife with the following question for me to answer on my blog with my perspective on Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): “What is the difference between losing hope, and accepting your limitations?”[i]

 Before I provide my opinion on that important question (that I understand), allow me to provide a visual of TBI for those readers who are unfamiliar with it.

 “I tell people whom I want to inform about TBI to imagine their brain as a dartboard... having speech, thinking, intellect, walking, planning, memory...for areas to be hit [with the darts of your mind].

 The result may be in one area, many areas, a few...who knows? Don't assume that a TBI victim is stupid. Maybe [they] can't quite integrate things enough to fit your frame of reference…No head injury is too serious to despair of, nor too trivial to ignore."[ii]

 After I became enraged with the Almighty about how unfair it was of Him to make a major change in my life without consulting with me first, I realized I gave up my personal rights to my loving Heavenly Father a long time ago. The two of us were about to go on another “roller coaster ride” through the pages of my life. I was unsure of my readiness for all that was about to happen.

I had no control over my cancer (or the effects of TBI). I had to blindly trust the wisdom of God. (His track record of faithfulness was perfect.) If I could find the good in any of this unasked for challenge, I wanted to make that choice.[iii]

Several years down the road when I was past my brain surgery, cancer diagnosis, and chemotherapy (I was in remission), I had come to terms with my new norm. Honestly, I wanted to go back to the life I had before, but my entire family knew that was not a possibility. My life has taken a good alternate path (of wholeness) where the following realities exist:
 
1.  I am no longer the major income provider. My wife holds that spot. I play a secondary role in running errands and assisting with household chores. (I try to do anything that will take stress off Bobbi.)

2.  When I am able, I work part-time to assist with family income. (If that is not the case, my schedule unhurried and open to anything I need to do.)

3.  My stamina is not as hearty as it used to be. (I get tired easily.)

4.  Emotional angry flair-ups occur frequently.

5.  One of my life purposes (and therapy) is my blog, ENCOURAGE ME, I’m not sure it would have ever occurred without the Almighty’s intervening.

For anyone dealing with important change in their life, it’s important to remember this: “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.[iv]




[i] The term “a change of plans” refers to a modification of procedures that were made.
 
[ii] Quote by Brian Weir, TBI survivor
 
[iii] For further information on my cancer and brain surgery, please see the post “Blessed.”
 
[iv]Quote by Mary Anne Radmacher
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...