Sunday, January 1, 2017

A Glimmer of Hope

Usually by Christmas of every year, central Ohio has received their first substantial snowfall. As the temperature drops, buildings, automobiles, and landscape eventually become covered in the powdery white stuff. Until humans turn this substance into dirty slush, for a brief period of time all looks scrubbed clean and bright. [i]

To me, it almost seems like winter offers a do-over (a glimmer of hope[ii]) that life for me will be different (and better) in the days to come. “What gives me the most hope every day is God’s grace; knowing that his grace is going to give me the strength for whatever I face, knowing that nothing is a surprise to God." [iii]

In the business of my daily, I often forget the Almighty’s constant hope for me is achieving purity in every aspect of my life (mentally and physically). Psalm 51:7(ERV) states, Remove my sin and make me pure. Wash me until I am whiter than snow.”

1.  Hope does not discriminate against anyone. It is for everyone. This promise belongs to you and to your children and to everyone who is far away. It belongs to everyone who worships the Lord our God.[iv]

We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes.[v] If you have been reduced to God being your only hope, you are in a good place.”[vi]

2.  For hope to be successful, it must be based on the firm foundation of Jesus. So let’s do it—full of belief, confident that we’re presentable inside and out. Let’s keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Let’s see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on….[vii]

God is the only One who can make the valley of trouble a door of hope. [viii] Thanks be to God, there is hope today; this very hour you can choose Him and serve Him. [ix] Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness."[x]

3.  One day our hope will be fully realized in the presence of our risen Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. "The best we can hope for in this life is a knothole peek at the shining realities ahead.

Yet a glimpse is enough. It’s enough to convince our hearts that whatever sufferings and sorrows currently assail us aren’t worthy of comparison to that which waits over the horizon.[xi] Other men see only a hopeless end, but the Christian rejoices in an endless hope.[xii]

Many things are possible for the person who has hope. Even more is possible for the person who has faith. And still more is possible for the person who knows how to love. But everything is possible for the person who practices all three virtues.[xiii]

I hope that…this [New] Year [2017] to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something.[xiv]
Heavenly Father…I come before you today in need of hope. There are times when I feel helpless [and]... weak…I need hope for a better future...a better life...for love and kindness…”[xv]

May 2017 bring rich blessings from your Heavenly Father (as you get to know Him better).

 Love,

Robert Kinker, Your Advice Blogger




[i] This post was inspired by the sermon, Christmas Revealed: Hope Revealed (installment four, final) Pastor Dave Jansen Sunday, December 18, 2016

 

 


[ii] “A glimmer of hope” is a minute indication that something may improve, succeed, or turn out for the best in the end.  (idioms.thefreedictionary.com)

 

 


[iii] Quote by Rick Warren

 


[iv] Acts 2:39 (NOG)

 


[v] Quote by John Fitzgerald Kennedy

 


[vi] Quote by Jim Laffoon

 


[vii] Hebrews 10:22-25 (MSG)

 


[viii] Quote by Catherine Marshall

 


[ix] Quote by D. L. Moody

 


[x] Quote by Desmond Tutu

 


[xi] Quote by Joni Eareckson Tada

 


[xii] Quote by Gilbert M. Beeken

 


[xiii]Quote by Brother Lawrence

 


[xiv] Quote by Neil Gaiman



[xv] Adapted from “A Prayer for Hope” (www.prayers-for-special-help.com)

2 comments:

  1. New Year is a new beginning. What you have decided to be your new beginning. I at this point I would like to ask the Lord to allow me to walk, study, and live closer to thee. We all have challenges in life and this year I would like to ask the Lord. To continue to allow me to work, and learn more about him and to study. As well as learn and live in the word of God. As sadden is truly real, and we are distracted by the behavior he displays. Dear Jesus please continue to cover me in order for me to continue my piece in the Lord. As well as be able to understand the obstacle's and challenges we are having in this life. I appreciate and thank the Lord for he allowing me to pray and to understand his piece. I also thank the Lord for allowing me to understand two wrongs does not make a wright. In his name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And may the Lord allow you to make mistakes as well! Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...