Saturday, November 26, 2016

Uncommonly Good

During my annual physical, I spoke (small talk) with the nurse about the unique personality of my canine, Lola. From what I told her, she smiled and said, “What Lola wants; Lola gets.”
The 1955 song, “Whatever Lola Want,” (performed by many artists over the years) was completed by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross for the musical, Damn Yankees.

 No one could have ever imagined (over sixty-one years later) that my feisty mixed female Chihuahua (also named Lola) with the expressive eyes, bark, and paws were who the lyrics (below) made me think of instead of the assertive 1847 female, Lola Montez, that eventually had this lyrical piece named after a quote of hers.[i]

Could the name of your beloved pet (that consistently makes you smile) replace the name “Lola” in this song, and be completely accurate?[ii]

VERSE ONE
Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets
And little man, little Lola wants you
Make up your mind to have, no regrets
Recline yourself, resign yourself you're through

CHORUS
I always get, what I aim for
And your heart and soul, is what I came for.
Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets
Take off your coat, Don't you know you can't win
You're no exception to the rule,
I'm irrezeestable you fool, Give in
(give in, you'll never win)
Whatever Lola wants
Lola gets
CHORUS
TAG
Give in (give in, you'll never win)
Give in (give in, you'll never win)

I came across two quotes that definitely remind me of the loving side of my Chihuahua for me. (Who do these remind you of?)

1.    And then my soul saw you and kinda went “Oh, there you are. I’ve been looking for you all my life.”[iii]

2.   If you’re lucky… a [pet] will come into your life, steal your heart, and change everything.”[iv]

Lola’s most attractive (and endearing) quality is her assertiveness. Her assertiveness is evident when she wants affection (doggy kisses). She sneakily goes trash picking (in the kitchen). Lola incessantly barks to rally her resting Chihuahua brothers for a pee-pee break.


She enjoys getting an extra human meal if anyone in the home leaves a full (or empty) plate within range of her mouth. Lola gallops full-mode (and leaps) coming in from the outside. She takes seriously takes her duty adjusting herself into sleeping mode in my bed (anytime I rest).

Having Lola’s assertative (confidence) is a quality we can all benefit from.  Proverbs 3:25-25 (MSG) proclaims this:

“No need to panic over alarms (or surprises), or predictions that doomsday’s just around the corner...God will be right there with you. He’ll keep you safe and sound.”

We all need to enjoy life to its fullest. In the midst of all our living, remember that none of is ever alone with all the unexpected twists (and turns) that happen to us during our time here on Earth. No matter the outcome, the Heavenly Father is present to help us all move safely to other side of the challenge we face. 


Lola Montez, 1847



Lola Kinker, 2016



[i] The title of this post refers to one of the slogans of the Keebler Company (keebler.com). I can also mean surprisingly superior.


[ii] For more information on Lola, see the post, “She’s a Lady.”

[iii] Quote by ILoveMyChis.com

[iv] Quote by WoofPosts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...