Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Songster

My love for reading books began as a young child. (I am very familiar with my local library.) As a high school student, writing started to captivate my attention. In my twenties I experimented with different genres in the craft of the written word. (My early venture as a gospel soloist had already started as a teenager at church.)[i]

I thought I might give song writing a try (especially in the religious or country realm). Though I had big, elaborate dreams for my master pieces, nothing ever became of my lyrical creations.

I remember submitting “My Brother’s Keeper” to the southern gospel singers, The Crabb family. I had two other songs I could picture Martina McBride and Toby Keith singing. I do not remember if I followed through, and did that.

Below are three examples in the above mentioned genres. How are you justifying the dreams you have for yourself? Are they a crucial part of who you are? Are they simmering on a “back burner” (to explore later)? Have they been put on a “bookshelf” to be forgotten about indefinitely?

1.     Leftovers[ii]

Verse One
Baby, what’s really going on
With the way you’re hurting me?
We were once in love
But now I wonder, “Do you still love me”?
Has it come time to ask you
If we should call it quits.
Is the message now still the same.
Do these words finally fit? 

Chorus

Leftovers, that’s what I’m getting from
The love you’re giving me.
Leftovers now is the word
My heart wishes just wouldn’t be.
Leftovers from a lifetime
Of feelings that are gone.
Once again I’m sure of this.
You’re leftover love is what’s wrong.

Verse Two

Honey, I’m just curious
If we can work things out.
I won’t give up easily
If things can be all right.
Are there still sparks of love there
Where once the flame burned true?
Can we once again be back where we were,
Or are we really through?

Chorus


Tag
You’re leftover love is what’s wrong.



2.     My Brother’s Keeper [iii]

Verse One

Brother, I remember how you always were there;

Standing on the sidelines without a spotlight to share.
When our car required fixing,
Or someone needed a special cake,
You were ready to assist with a smile on your face.

Chorus One

And, my Brother, I love you
And now it’s so clear
That God made me the keeper
Of His child so dear.

Verse Two 

Brother, you’re in heaven with all our family
And I still remember what you taught me:
“Be kind to others, and love them just as they are.
Don’t worry about the small things
That aren’t important at all.”

Chorus Two

In Heaven, God loves you,

And now it’s so clear

That God is now the Keeper
Of His child so dear.

Verse Three
Brother, you’re always on my mind.
A friend like you is hard to find.
I wonder how could it be
The life that is mine
Is the one you should’ve had all the time

Chorus Three
Brother, I love you,
And now it’s so clear
That you were the keeper
Of our family so dear.

 

Tag

I thank God for a brother who was so dear.


3.     Why Not Shut Up?[iv]

Chorus

Why not shut up,
And let me do
What the boss pays me for?
Why not shut up,
And get a job on another floor?
Why not shut up?
I’m askin’ you pretty please.
Why not shut up,
And make my job a breeze?

Verse One

At work my job
Needs thinking carefully.
Yet all around
Some think it’s one big party.
I wish they’d stop,
And think of those around.
Take to heart this lesson I’ve found.

Chorus


Verse Two

Those I work with
Irritate in varied ways.
Mrs. Psycho talks to herself all day.
Mr. Band drums and sings his tune.

Mr. Mad gripes until about noon.

Chatty Kathy laughs and talks like a queen.
Someone please stop this before I get mean.

Chorus  2X

Tag

Why not shut up, and make my job a breeze?



Psalm 96:1-2, 4 proclaims this, “Sing God a brand new song! Earth and everyone in it, sing! Sing to God – worship God! For God is great, and worth a thousand hallelujahs….” Whether you have any type of musical (or artistic) abilities (or not) is not only part of you that is important to the Heavenly Father with the life He’s given you.

To others is your existence a finely tuned symphony or an off-key solo? Why do your life alone when you have the Creator (of everything) to guide you. Make the wise choice.



[i] A songster is a person who sings or writes music

[ii] Dedicated to life before Bobbi (as a single man).

[iii] This song is dedicated to my younger, only brother, Jim Kinker, who died on 2/29/92. “…Am I my brother’s keeper?” (Genesis 4:9, NKJV)

[iv] Dedicated to some of the co-workers I sat next to while I worked at the Defense Finance Accounting Services Columbus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...