Sunday, October 30, 2016

My Happy Hour

I seem to be most content (as a man) with myself after I’ve had a good laugh[i]. My outlook on my life seems to be more positive when I’m either listening to a wonderful audio book (as I’m driving somewhere by myself), or at home watching many of my favorite sitcom all together (which could exceed an hour).[ii] “I believe the universe is a mirror, and reflects what you put out there.”[iii]

My current (and re-run) favorite chuckle television series include: American Housewife, Golden Girls, Home Improvement, Mike and Molly, Last Man Standing, Reba, Rosanne, and The Mindy Project. As for authors (that are guaranteed to provide the giggle factor for me), they include: Beth Harbison, Janet Evanovich, Joanne Fluke, and Sophie Kinsella. [iv]

Settings for the above are in different parts of the country. The edginess (and cleverness) in the writing is wonderful. In some way, a piece of what I’m reading (or viewing) has made an emotional connection with my psyche.

I am amazed with the lessons comedy teaches me. I laugh with total abandonment at the image of my own fallibility being reflected back at me.

When a TV show (or author) provides me with the gift of laughter, I am unconcerned with what I may know about an actor (or author’s) personal life. My main concern is the quality of their performance (or the clarity of their written words). I will stop following a show (or listening to an audio book) if there is cruelty to animals (especially dogs), physical violence, or verbal abuse.

In my opinion, I don’t take any of the above seriously enough to picture the Heavenly Father sitting next to me, and watching (or listening) to my selections. There are other things in life I can get serious about, and this issue is not one of them.

The Almighty and I don’t have identical tastes in humor. I am an adult with my own unique convictions, which I am satisfied with. On this subject there is no guilt (no matter what others think).

My Heavenly Father understands my need for temporary sources of merriment. I know that He alone is my true source of joy. Though others may find this contradictory; it is one of the most permanent themes of my entire life.

As an adult, I enjoy laughter in TV (and books) for the purpose of pure entertainment. It stimulates my thinking, and most the time puts me in a relaxed, pleasant mood, which makes me react positively to those around me.

As my memory is so poor these days, the requirement of a riveting plot line (in TV or a book) is not of crucial importance to me because chances are that I will have either forgotten it midway through my experience (or days after).

The Message has these biblical insights on happiness:

1.  “God will let you laugh again; you’ll raise the roof with shouts of joy.”[v]

2.  “A cheerful heart brings a smile to your face; a sad heart makes it hard to get through the day.”[vi]

3.  “A miserable heart means a miserable life; a cheerful heart fills the day with song.”[vii]

4.  [There’s] a right time to … laugh…”[viii]


Have you ever thought how dull life would be if everyone had your same opinion (on every topic that existed), and there was never one moment of sadness. All of your life’s experiences have made you exactly who you are right now. (Remember, diversity makes your existence interesting.)

The late children’s poetry author (and artist), Shel Silverstein, in his poem, “The Land of Happy,” from the book, Where the Sidewalk Ends, summarized my above assessment in this light-hearted manor:

Have you been to the land of Happy?
Where everyone’s happy all day?
Where they joke and they sing
Of the happiest things,
And everything’s jolly and gay?[ix]
There’s no one unhappy in Happy.
There’s laughter and smiles galore.
I have been to the land of Happy.
What a bore!

Just to put a smile on your face; lets conclude this post with twenty humorous definitions (not found in any known dictionary printed):[x]

1.   An alarm clock is a mechanical device to wake up people, who don’t have small children.

2.   Applause is two hands slapping each other’s faces.

3.   A boss is a person who is at the office early on the days when you’re late.

4.   A comedian is a person with a good memory who hopes other people haven’t.


5.   Cuisine is any food you can’t pronounce.

6.   A dead ringer is a deceased telephone.

7.   A florist is a petal pusher.

8.   Gossip is rumortism.


9.   A harp is nude piano.

10.                     A hug is energy that has gone to waist.


11.                     A lecture is something that makes you feel numb at one end, and dumb at the other.

12.                     A paradox is two medical doctors.


13.                     A pickpocket is someone who never learned to keep his hands to himself.

14.                     A snicker is a laugh that gets caught in your throat.

15.                     Snoring is sheet music.

16.                     A synonym is the word you use in place of one you can’t spell.

17.                     A vampire is a person who is overdrawn at the blood bank.


18.                     A violin is an instrument for people who like to fiddle around.

19.                     A window shopper is a store gazer.

20.                     An x-ray is belly vision.



[i] Happy hour refers to “the hour (or so) of relaxation with drinks after work (cocktail hour); or a specified period of time, usually in early evening, in some restaurants (and bars) when drinks are sold at lower prices (or when free food is provided).” The New Dictionary of American Slang (edited by Robert L. Chapman, Ph.D.)

[ii] Sitcom is “short for a situation comedy series on television. “The New Dictionary of American Slang (edited by Robert L. Chapman, Ph.D.)

[iii] Quote from The Mindy Project series

[iv] This blog topic was suggested by a discussion I had with my wife, Bobbi.

[v] Job 8:21

[vi] Proverbs 15: 13

[vii] Proverbs 15: 15

[viii] Ecclesiastes 3:4

[ix] This word can also mean “merry or cheerful.”

[x] Adapted from The Big Book of Jokes & Riddles, “Dizzy Daffynitions” and “Still More Dizzy Daffynitions”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...