Thursday, September 22, 2016

The Caregiver

I have the right to…
1.  Take care of myself. It isn’t an act of selfishness, but a necessity so that I can be better able to care for my loved one.
2.  Seek help from others although my loved one may object. There are limits to my own endurance (and strength).
3.  Maintain areas of my own life that exclude the loved one I care for. I do all I can in aiding my loved one just as I have the right to care for myself.
4.  Get angry, be depressed, and occasionally express other difficult emotions.
5.  Reject any attempt for my loved one (conscious or unconscious) to manipulate me through guilt, irritation, or sadness.
6.  Receive consideration, affection, forgiveness, and the acceptance that I offer my loved one.
7.  Take pride in what I am accomplishing, and to applaud the courage it has taken to meet the needs of my loved one.
8.  Protect my individuality in making a life for myself that will sustain me when my loved one no longer needs full-time help from me.
9.  Expect and demand new strides be made in medical research that will assist both physically and mentally impaired senior citizens (and their caregivers) in America.
10.     (Fill in the blank for your own unique bill of rights not mentioned.)[i]




[i] Adapted from the article, “The Caregiver’s Bill of Rights,” in CareGiving: Helping an Aged Loved One by Jo Home. Published on Family Caregiver Alliance (https://www.caregiver.org). Dedicated to all those individuals dealing with this right now. I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...