Friday, September 30, 2016

Loving-Kindness

September 24, 2016

Hey Dad!

Why am I sending you my first real college paper? Because I can, and I know you like to write. I wouldn’t [have] been able [to] write this paper if it wasn’t for you. I love you. I dedicate this paper to Rosco, and my father (the one that taught me to never give up).

Having a pet teaches you to love. Living with a pet is like living with a human. When you have the responsibility of taking care of humans, you have to keep them alive by feeding them, giving them shelter, and loving them. You also have to do the same thing with your pet. I believe having a pet lays down the foundation to loving and caring for others.

It was close to 12:45am on a Sunday morning when I was lying in bed. As I lay in bed, I began to hear a heaving sound. Minutes later, I see [a spreading] pile of vomit on my quilt. I quickly wondered why my dog threw up. Was it from his food? I look up to see my dog licking his chops clean of vomit.  [i]

I quickly pick him up, and rush him out of my room…to the back porch. After I put him down on the porch he continues to vomit. I go back into my kitchen, and dampen a paper towel. After he is done vomiting, I start to clean the vomit off his mouth.

I then bring him back inside, and get him to start drinking water from his bowl. After this, we both head back upstairs, and I start to clear off my sheets (because they were covered in vomit). I then proceed to put on a new set of sheets and a new blanket on my bed. After turning off the lights, we both cuddle back in bed and fall asleep.  

I had to take care of my dog just like a mother would take care of her baby.[ii] Some people don’t think of pets like a child (but some do), and I am definitely one of those people.

As an only child, I didn’t have any siblings to love because my mother had eight miscarriages. Because my siblings are in Heaven and not physically here, I loved my pets instead.

My friend, Myranda, was sick with a cold, and she wasn’t able to get out of bed. Myranda’s mom didn’t know how to love, but because of having a pet I did. I got her medicine and orange juice for her cold. I also made sure she had food that wouldn’t upset her stomach too much (so she wouldn’t vomit).  Taking care [of] Myranda was just like caring for Rosco.

Because my siblings are in Heaven and not physically here; I love my pets instead.  I have three Chihuahuas: Rosco, Chico, and Lola. The things you do for your pet are: clean them up when their sick, feed them, and love them to any degree.

Caring for Rosco caused me to have an emotional bond with him, making me love him, and do anything for him.

Caring for Myranda when she was sick brought us closer, and made us have a loving, sister-like relationship. In the end, by loving Rosco, I learned the foundation of love.[iii]


The scripture informs us of the Almighty’s never-ending love (and kindness) for His children. We should always model this divine quality to both human kind and the animal kingdom of what our Heavenly Father’s character at all times models.

There’s an abundance of both scripture (and quotes) to lead us further down the path of heavenly enlightenment. Here are just a few selections:

1.  “Generosity is the most natural outward expression of an inner attitude of compassion and loving-kindness.”  (Dalai Lama XIV)


2.  “For Your loving-kindness is before my eyes, and I have walked in Your truth.” (Psalm 26:3)

3.    “Don’t just love a person for the image, idea or concept of them, but love them for every fantastically weird and twisted [detail] that makes them up.” (Lauren Klarfeld)


4.  “Oh, continue Your loving-kindness to those who know You, And Your righteousness to the upright in heart.” (Psalm 36:10)

5.  “I want people to feel safe around me. Calm and at peace and I want to make people feel accepted. I want to express confidence on my own path, and spread confidence to other people on theirs.”
(
Charlotte Eriksson)


6.  “Do not withhold Your tender mercies from me, O Lord; Let Your loving-kindness and Your truth continually preserve me.” (Psalm 40:11)


7.  “The more we genuinely care about others the greater our own happiness & inner peace.”
(
Allan Lokos )


8.  “Because Your loving-kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise You.[iv] (Psalm 63:3)


9. 
“We live in a world today that lacks loving-kindness and compassion for our fellow man and woman. As Gandhi so eloquently stated, "Be the change that you wish to see in the world." We need to strive to be better, to be the image of selflessness.


10.     Love and give to those in need--expecting nothing in return. Give out of sincerity and from the depths of our hearts. Have compassion for every man, woman and child, no matter what ethnicity or background they come from. Love is blind. Love is unconditional. Love has the power to heal and redeem, and that is what Humanity should strive for.” (Terry A. O'Neal)



11.     “To declare Your loving-kindness in the morning, And Your faithfulness every night.” (Psalm 92:2)[v]





[i] “As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his foolishness.” (Proverbs 26:11, NLT)

[ii] “But we were gentle among you just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children.” (I Thessalonians 2:17)

[iii] Allena’s paper is entitled, “Love Is Unconditional.” All writing material on this post (by her) has been slightly edited for grammar, accuracy, and clarity. Private material (provided by my daughter) is used with her permission.

[iv] Loving-kindness is affection (or tenderness) coming from genuine love (or devotion) for another individual.

[v] All scripture is taken from the New King James Version of the Bible (unless otherwise indicated).

Allena and Rosco hugging
My Beautiful Allena


Shy (but Feisty) Rosco

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...