Thursday, August 25, 2016

Better than the Rest

I do not choose to be [an uncommon person]. It is my right to be uncommon if I can. I seek opportunity not security. I do not wish to be a kept…humbled…by having the state look after me.

I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build;
to fail or succeed. I refuse to live from hand to mouth, I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the calm state of [apathy].

I will not trade freedom for false promises, or my dignity for a handout. I will never [cringe before any boss] nor bend to any threat.

It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act for myself; to enjoy the benefits of my creation, and to face the world boldly and say, [“I am able to do anything with God’s help.”]* 

*Adapted from “The Uncommon Manby Dean Alfange

Do you always strive to do the best that you can? No one is perfect. In this life, mistakes are inevitable. The important question is always when you make a mistake (emotionally), do you strive to right it (or remain in defeat)?

The (abbreviated) chorus of a song by Christian artist, Bob Carlisle states this, “We fall down; we get up, and the saints are just the sinners who fall down and get up.” Is that a description of you? King Solomon in Ecclesiastes 2:13 (CEV) professes the following (from experience):

“And I discovered that wisdom is better than foolishness, just as light is better than darkness.” Emotionally is your light bright or dim?

Matthew 5:14-16 (MSG) adds additional to the above verse. Can you relate to this? “Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill.

If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in Heaven.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...