Friday, July 1, 2016

Blind Sided

There are some things that happen in life that completely take you surprise. On Wednesday, June 29, 2016, the end of my workday had finally come. Walking to the break room to get my large silver lunch bag, my manager “Johnston” stopped me, and said he would like to talk to me right outside the front door of Staples.

Most official meetings with Johnston have turned out to be negative in nature. I was quickly scanning my memory to think what I could have possibly done wrong, and nothing was coming up. Going past the cashier (that had relieved me), I performed the slit motion across my throat with my pointer finger.

Stepping outside, I immediately realized I was not in trouble as soon as Johnston began to speak. Friday was his last day with Staples. By the time I returned to work on Tuesday of the following week, Johnston would be gone, and a temporary manager would be there in his place.

He had been actively pursued for this position. Johnston felt he could excel at it, and wanted to find that out. The stress would be more, but hopefully that pay increase would make up for that.

I was completely shocked by this news. Somewhere illogically in my mind, I thought Johnston would be at Staples as long as I continued to work there. Mentally, this was throwing my mind into a state of mental confusion. I didn’t know yet if this was good or bad news.

Soon after Johnston employed me, I felt God had a reason for me to work there. During my employment under Johnston, there have been many opportunities for personal discussion.

The Almighty has revealed the causes, and asked me to demonstrate empathy and encouragement when possible to Johnston. How does one proceed in the location God has placed them when the main reason for being there is removed? My work life with Johnston has not always been pleasant.

After the many official performance write-ups I been through in Johnston’s tiny, hot, windowless office, it surprises me that my employment has not yet been terminated with Staples. With each episode, I desperately wanted to dislike Johnston. It never stuck because of his charming personality. (I believe Johnston and I are both perfectionist that have high expectations for this area of our lives.) Who knows how things will proceed without him here?

Hebrews 13:1-5(MSG) tells us all, Stay on good terms with each other, held together by love.  Be ready with a meal or a bed when it’s needed. Why, some have extended hospitality to angels without ever knowing it. Regard prisoners as if you were in prison with them.

 Look on victims of as if what happened to them happened to you. Honor marriage, and guard the sexual intimacy between husband and wife. God draws a firm line against casual and illicit sex. Don’t be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assures us,”I’ll never let you down, never walk off and leave you.”


I can’t think much in life these verses don’t cover. Chances are that we can all find something in this scripture passage that applies to us. Be assured that your existence will always have surprises (both good and bad) that may leave you breathless (both emotionally and physically). How you handle these unexpected moments will speak volumes about your character. How will others read you in moments of utter shock?

Where I work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...