Thursday, June 30, 2016

Wise Guy

It was around 6pm on the Wednesday before the Independence Day holiday. Bobbi and I walked into the Polaris Destination XL Men’s Apparel to solve a work related problem I was experiencing at Staples. During our hot, humid summer, I was having male “hot flashes” constantly due to the the thick black cotton pants I wore as part of my work uniform.

I have always struggled with finding the right-sized pants. My waistline seems to always be in a constant state of change. Since I have no waist or back end to speak of, I have consistently dealt with the “downward slide” after a couple hours of wear (no matter how tightly I maneuver my belt).

In the past, I have spent a good part of my work day pulling up my pants (multiple times). In my job at Meijer’s as a Greeter, suspenders worked. (I don’t seem to be having, but that doesn’t seem to be having the “downward slide” issue as a Cashier.  (My sixty-five to seventy pound weight loss hasn’t hurt either.)

My red-headed sales person (also named Robert) helped me to find a pair of black pants made of wrinkle resistant, cool and dry microfiber. My wife purchased them (along with a nice striped collarless shirt that was on sale). Bobbi is always looking out for me.

Across from the dressing room, I noticed this plaque (see the picture below). It said, “Clothes make the man. We make them fit. Ask about our on-site tailoring.”

I definitely agree that proper clothing, grooming, and hygiene can make a man feel more confident wherever he is in his world. It can also make others see your worth. Below are points from the Bible about what the Almighty sees as a valuable, worthy, and wise man.

1.  A wise man becomes more valuable as his knowledge is increased in whatever form that takes. (Proverbs 1:5)

2.  A wise man calmly considers what he will say (in any situation) before he speaks. (Proverbs 29:11)


3.  A wise man doesn’t purposely look for for many complements from others on his value or performance. He allows others to naturally do that in conversation if it happens at all. (Proverbs 27:1-2)

4.  A wise man minds his manners when he goes out to eat a meal with others. (Proverbs 23:1-3)


5.  A wise man should be certain of what he wants when he asks the Almighty in prayer. (James 1:6-8)

6.  A wise man should go beyond what they have to do, and show selfless love for their wife just as Jesus does for His bride, the church. (Ephesians 5:25)


7.  A wise man will not run up huge debts for the sake of getting more stuff that he is unable to pay for (in a timely manner). (Proverbs 17:18)

8.  As a wise man, the Heavenly Father desires for you to be loyal and kind to others. (Proverbs 3:3-4)


9.  God values honesty in a wise man. (Romans 3:4)

In my opinion, one of the best songs on the topic of being an authentic man is performed by Clay Aiken. Read the chorus of Measure of a Man below. Men, can you honestly answer the questions this song asks? Women if you have this kind of man in your life. Thank God for him right now.

Will he walk on water?
Will he run through fire?
Will he stand before you when it’s down to the wire?
Will he give his life up to be all he can?

Is that, is that how you measure a man?


The inspiration for this post.

2 comments:

  1. I have struggled with the same pants issue, love micro-fiber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have struggled with the same pants issue, love micro-fiber!

    ReplyDelete

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...