Monday, April 18, 2016

Shackled

Soon after my daughter arrived home from her second part-time job at a large women’s clothing store, we got into a discussion. (Neither one of us remembers the topic of our chat.) It elicited the following profound dadism from me: “We’re all a slave to one thing or the other.”

My daughter’s jokingly answered that with, “That was pretty good. You ought to blog on that.” I will do just that per Allena’s request (whether she meant me to do write a post on it or not).

Matthew 6:24 (MSG) states my quote this way. “You can’t worship two gods at once. Loving one god, you’ll end up hating the other. Adoration of one feeds contempt for the other. You can’t worship God and money both.”

You know of people that are a slave to their job so they can move up the career ladder as quickly. Other individuals are a slave to working as many jobs as they can to pay off all their mounting debts.

There are men and women (so uncertain of whom they are) that they are willing to do whatever is needed (physically or emotionally) to be liked by the people they want to impress.
Human beings can also be shackled to lifestyle changes (good or bad), friend or family relationships (helpful or destructive), and of course a variety of habits (negative or positive).

Let’s not forget spiritual enslavement to legalistic, strict adherence to important life-giving regimens (Bible reading, prayer, church attendance) all in attempts to keep God loving you.

News flash, you are a child of the Almighty. Nothing you can do will make Him love you more than He does now. (Jeremiah 31:3)

In our world today, there is actual slavery. Young women are placed into the world of modern-day prostitution. This is either against their will, or because they need money quickly. Maybe these feel this is the best they deserve.

Let’s not forget about all the adults (or children) who work in factory “sweat shops” all over the world for long hours, low wages and deplorable working conditions.

I am working towards making the words of Nathan Jr. Williams’ song, “I’m Free” a reality in my busy life. (This song was made popular by the Gaither Quartet.) Where do you stand are you free (or still a slave)?

Verse One
So long I searched for life’s meaning
Enslaved by the world and my greed
Then the door of my prison was opened by love
For the ransom, I was free

Chorus
I’m free from the fear of tomorrow
I’m free from the guilt of the past
I’ve traded my shackles for a glorious song
I’m free, praise the Lord, free at last!

Verse Two
I’m free from the guilt that I carried
From the dull empty life I’m set free
For when I met Jesus, He made me complete
He forgot the foolish child I used to be

Chorus

Tag
I’ve traded my shackles for a glorious song

I’m free, praise the Lord, free at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...