Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Better or Bitter

“Make sure you don’t take things for granted and go slack in working for the common good; share what you have with others. God takes particular pleasure in acts of worship—a different kind of “sacrifice”—that take place in kitchen and workplace and on the streets.”           


I am amazed that when my mind tells me, “you have written your last post, and there’s nothing more to write about” that I will (in great relief) discover some object that’s been in my house for (what seems like) eternity. Since becoming a Blogger, these insignificant objects take on what I now see as big life lessons.


This was the case when I found a bookmark of Allena’s when she’d used it in elementary school (I think) for all the reading she did back then. (See the picture below.) This “girlie” bookmark is missing its tassel (which I assume was pink). It is in shades of purple and pink complete with a cartoon cat, butterfly, and daisy.

At the bookmark, is the child’s version of Hebrews 13:16, which is “share with others.” Take just a moment to reread (and completely understand) The Message translation of this verse (at the top of this post).


In our modern society, people want (and expect) instant gratification in their life today. (Can you think of three examples to illustrate this point?) In our electronic age, it is possible to find “selfless saints” anywhere you want to go.  On the opposite side of that are the “self-centered sinners.”

There anthem is the chorus of the Toby Keith song, “I Wanna Talk About Me”:
I wanna talk about me
Wanna talk about I
Wanna talk about number one 
Oh my me my
What I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see
I like talking about you, usually, but occasionally
I wanna talk about me
I wanna talk about me


Of course, there are variations between these two extremes. Do you know what they are? Life is not a Burger King commercial (from 1974). You cannot always “have it your way” in every situation. That is called a dictator, which Vocabulary.com describes as “someone who has absolute power — or who at least behaves as if they do by bossing others around.”


Read these wonderful inspirational quotes (from Biblereasons.com) on the importance of choosing the right friends.
Ø   Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone then in bad company  (Booker T. Washington)

Ø  You become like the five people you spend the most time with [so] choose carefully.


Ø  You don’t need a certain number of friends, just a number of friends you can be certain of.

Ø  Surround yourself with only people, who are going to lift you higher

 
In closing, what’s the Bible’s take on the importance of who you associate with? (Here are just a few of the many verses from the Easy-to-Read Version, ERV.)

Ø Don’t be fooled: “Bad friends will ruin good habits.     (I Corinthians 15:33)

Ø [If you are friends] with those who are wise, you will become wise. Choose fools to be your friends, and you will have trouble. (Proverbs 13:20)

Ø You can trust what your friend says, even when it hurts. But your enemies want to hurt you, even when they act nice. (Proverbs 27:6)

Ø So encourage each other and help each other grow stronger in faith, just as you are already doing.           (I Thessalonians 5:11)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...