Saturday, January 30, 2016

Texting Goodness

Nothing warms the heart of a writer more than having one of his readers communicate to him (or her) just what a profound effect their words have had on the receiver’s life.

I simply adore Psalms 119:103 (MSG) “Your words are so choice, so tasty; I prefer them to the best home cooking.” This verse is extremely applicable to your cell phone. Is what your texting to others deliciously seasoned with a blessing (or something better left unsaid).

My own personal example of this involves my former youth director, Roger Miracle, when I was a teenager at the church I grew up in, Fellowship Baptist in Columbus, OH. The two of reconnected a couple years ago after losing touch for many years.

Roger Miracle lives with his wife Kim in Chickamauga, GA. He is a member of my Encourage Me blog group. Like the other individuals in this specific Facebook family, he finds my opinion worth his reading time. (That just amazes me.) My former youth pastor continues to be a major influence in my life as he was when I was a teenager. (Roger is good with reality checks.)

Roger often gives me humorous, helpful critiques on what he enjoys about some of my various posts (as he feels lead). His summary of text sentiments went something like this, “Your blog is really getting good, concise, relevant, and interesting…It is biblical, but you don’t beat people over the head with it. That is a tough beam to balance on… I am praying for you daily”

Here is how I responded to that. “This is [the job God] lead me to do [in December 2014]. I think more change happens with love and concern than guilt. Only God can bring true [transformation]. I wish to be an agent of true [helpful] change…Thanks for always being so encouraging when it comes to my writing.”


In today’s modern world, very few people have the opportunity to bless others (or encourage) all the time. With all the responsibilities people have today that is absolutely not practical.

Here is what you can do. If you know of someone is having a rough day (for whatever the reason), try to get an encouraging message (or small act of kindness) to them (Colossians 4:6).


It’s not possible to reach everyone (that needs the unique talents God has given you), but it is possible to make a difference in the existence of a chosen few. Best of luck with your newest mission from the Almighty.

1 comment:

  1. Robert, our relationship has always been special, I am thrilled with what God is doing in your life, your marriage, and your family. You have overcome some obstacles that would have stopped others in their tracks. Keep doing what you do, the Kingdom of God needs your perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...