Friday, January 29, 2016

Golden Apples

Most of us have heard the adage, “old age isn’t for sissies” (or the weak of heart. As a young man, I’m sure I ignored that wise advice. As I enter the edge of becoming a senior citizen, I’m becoming more aware that it takes a great deal of determination to sail in an alert state through the choppy waters of becoming advanced age.

Never could I have ever imagined (that in my fifties) I’d be dealing with a so many medications (for a surplus of health issues); resting with sleep apnea and my continuous positive air pressure (CPAP) machine; managing diabetes (along with my love for food); seeing with failing eyesight (that’s not improving); existing with both bi-polar and Binge Eating Disorder (see It’s B.E.D. Time, The Diagnosis); battling a bum knee (managed with a host of stuff); challenged with urology issues (which is handled with Depend Shields); and a Testosterone shot in the backend (every three weeks).

1.   Maybe you’re not aware of all the scriptures have to say about old age. Here’s a quick summary: 

2.   Senior citizens can verify God’s faithfulness (Psalms 71:18).

3.   Senior citizens can have various health conditions (Psalms 31:10).

4.   Senior citizens can have an active life (Psalms 92:14).

5.   Senior citizens can pass on the life experiences they’ve lived to future generations (Proverbs 13:22).

6.   Senior citizens are many times grandparents. They can be proud of what their children (and grandchildren) have accomplished in life (Proverbs 17:6).

7.   Senior citizens have valuable life experience (Proverbs 20:29).


8.   Senior citizens can be an example of good to those younger than them (Titus 2:6-8).


If I should live one day to the astounding age of one hundred like my feisty, healthy, and lucid maternal grandmother (see The Birthday of a Matriarch), I’m hoping that I have her life wisdom (in my advanced years) also. Proverbs 25:11 (NLT) says, “Timely advice is lovely, like golden apples in a silver basket.”

No matter your age, God needs you in His ultimate agenda to bring His lost sheep back to the security of the Good Shepherd (Matthew 18:12-13). If you have not become intimately acquainted with a Savior that cares for you beyond your own imagination, please read John 3:16 and my post, Salvation by the Book.

He stands at your heart’s door and knocks (Revelation 3:20). Listen to the urging inside of you, and give Him access to every part of you. You won’t regret it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...