Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The Newly Improved Allena 2.0

For anyone who has ever listened to the song, “Something in the Water” performed by country artist, Carrie Underwood, deals with the life-changing act of baptism. Some of the powerful lyrics to that song are as follows:
“Couldn't fight back the tears so I fell on my knees
Saying, ‘God, if you're there come and rescue me.’
Felt love pouring down from above
Got washed in the water, washed in the blood and now I'm changed and now I'm stronger.”
Baptism comes after someone asking Jesus into their heart as their own personal Savior (see Salvation by the Book). It involves immersing into water (not sprinkling). One needs to be aware of what they are doing.
A baby cannot be baptized (as they are not making a conscience choice at this age).This is an outward sign to show others (as well as yourself) that you want to be seen as a follower of Christ.
Jesus gave us an example of doing this act of obedience when He was baptized by His relative (possibly a cousin) John the Baptist. You can read the account of this in the gospels (Matthew 3:13-17, Mark 1:9-11, Luke 3:21-22, John 1:29-33). Matthew 28:19, 20 gives us a clear command to be baptized (as well as baptizing others).
Like my daughter, Allena, I was lead to the Lord in the privacy of my home by my mother when I was five years-old. Three years later an eight year-old Allena understood the concept of baptism as best she could with child-like intelligence. (We were attending First Baptist Church in Gahanna at that time.)
Her decision at that time was heavily influenced by making her parents happy, and following in footsteps of her good friend. Allena has very little memory of this event (even with the pictures that were taken).
At nineteen, Allena completely understands the significance of her choice at Akron First Assembly in Akron, OH (while she is at Youth with a Mission). My daughter knows this is a new start in her desire to be a dedicated Christian.
Some things never change (at both FBC and AFA), In both locations Allena’s mom (Bobbi) was assisting the females as they came out of the warm water from the baptistery as new creations in Christ.
Singing superstar Carrie Underwood summarizes in her song, “Something in the Water’ what I want you to think about as you finish this post.
“And now I'm singing along to amazing grace
Can't nobody wipe this smile off my face
Got joy in my heart, angels on my side
Thank God almighty, I saw the light
Gonna look ahead, no turning back
Live every day, give it all that I have
Trust in someone bigger than me
Ever since the day that I believed I am changed
And now I'm stronger.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...