Tuesday, December 22, 2015

My Funny Bone

“I’m not funny. What I am is brave!” That was quoted by the late actress and comedienne, Lucille Ball, star of the Lucy Show. Proverbs 15:13 (MSG) adds this additional insight to the above truism. “A cheerful heart brings a smile to your face; a sad heart makes it hard to get through the day.”
One constant with my wife (Bobbi) is that when she is stressed out over our bills (or scared about a situation in a family member or friend’s life), the outlook seems to be much better if she can cry because of a dramatic movie (or because of some insensitive thing I’ve said or done).
I tend to be the opposite of that. A good laugh over my favorite comedy tends to take me right out of the doldrums. Have you ever noticed that some individuals tend to giggle (a little or a lot) when some awful situations enter their life? They choose this over the alternative of sadness for their own mental stability.
I think philanthropist, comedienne, and host, Ellen DeGeneres (of The Ellen Show), gets it right with her TV show theme to “have a little fun. “
In life there are times to grow up, and take on adult responsibilities (I Corinthians 13:11). Maybe we could all use the healing power of laughter in whatever form life brings that to you.

That could be through a movie, an event, or a casual discussion with a close friend. As always, the choice is yours. Just be sure not to miss out on one of life’s greatest benefits. If you can laugh at yourself, I truly believe the blessings of life can become more obvious. Just look for them. They are there. Trust me.
Lucille Ball

Ellen DeGeneres

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...