Saturday, November 28, 2015

Between the Two of Us

For more years than I can recall, I’ve harbored a horrible secret almost nobody  knows (except my family). I simply do not enjoy putting any kind of Christmas paraphernalia up (tree with ornaments, nativity scene, Christmas card wreath, or external lights). There are no extra funds to pay anyone else to do it for me either. (This feeling runs in the family as my widowed senior mother hates this part of the holidays, and refuses to do it.)
For a while now, our daughter, Allena, has been the one to decorate our home with all the Holiday cheer. (When she is no longer living at home to do this task, I’m sure it will most likely cease to happen.)
Our daughter will only get a one week of winter’s break from Youth with a Mission in Akron, OH (see Distracted). She asked if all the Christmas stuff could be up. Soon the appearance of Christmas will come to stay (for a while) to the Kinker household.
When everything is up (inside and out), I will admit that it is breath taking. The only thought that runs across my brain though is “Who’s going to have to take all this stuff down, and put it back in the garage?” I know the answer it is always “Robert.”
Consider the following point to holiday purchases. In my fifties, I’ve reached a comfort level in my life where there’s not a whole lot I want or need. If there’s something that I really want (that’s big financially), chances are my wife (Bobbi), our family’s budget analyst, can somehow make our meager income squeeze out to purchase it (without waiting for Christmas).
For those of us that are followers of Jesus Christ, we know the birth of a tiny baby in Bethlehem (Luke 2:1-19) is the real reason for this upcoming holiday season (not all the holiday traditions we love to share).
For some, Christmas will be a season of difficulty (for various reasons) not of joy. Enjoy your time with those you love during this wonderful time of year. Why not put your real effort into encouraging those with a physical (or emotional) need? Isn’t giving what the spirit of Christmas boils down to?

A loving Heavenly Father gave the world the greatest gift of His Son (Jesus) wrapped in the form of a defenseless baby. Give your gifts to those you cherish the most during this time. Remember at this special time of year to bless those that have far less than you do. Pass on your goodness.
Christmas 2014. Holiday cheer by Allena Kinker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...