Friday, October 9, 2015

Trusting Him

The day after her 76th birthday (October 8, 2015, my mom’s 75th birthday) my good friend, Charlotte Massey (see Our Lonely Daughter and The Reason for the Celebration), discovered her cancer had returned for a third time. (She texted me personally to let me know.) The news shocked, and frightened me to the very core of who I am as a man.
Throughout my life, Charlotte and I have always been very truthful in our communication with each other. Her love for me has been a precious gift I’ve never take for granted. Via text, I asked her, “Honestly, how are you dealing with this? Is your faith still strong?”
Her response was just what I expected her to say. “That is the only thing that we can trust in, Robert. I know my Savior cares for me. As long as I focus on Him, and not the situation I am good…When I take my eyes off of Him, I sink just like Peter did.” (Matthew 14:22-33)
From what I’ve known of Charlotte over the years, she has lived a full life as the matriarch of the large Massey clan. Her long-time husband (Mike) and four children (Joey, Chrissi, Amy, and Jenny) and their offspring have depended on the practical wisdom of this special female.
Realistically, Charlotte wants God to heal her from this current cancer scare so she can spend many more exciting years watching over the daily lives of all her extended family.
 I know my good friend loves her Savior a great deal.  If He should decide it’s time for her to make an address change to Heaven (see Out of This World), she’s secure enough in her relationship with Him to trust His decision (much like the faith a young child has in their parent’s wisdom).  For the woman that is like a second mother to me, God’s track record for faithfulness has never been mistaken.
Complete allegiance to Someone (other than myself) scares me. As a writer, I tend question everything around me so I can get an accurate story. Of course, that has carried over into my spiritual life.

Many times I think God needs my assistance in resolving one of my most current issues. (He is capable of coming up with His own unique solution.) Sometimes, I am unsure if I can ever get to a point of giving the Heavenly Father total access to all of me, but I am striving to reach that ultimate goal. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...