Thursday, September 3, 2015

My Newest Greeter Duty

It had been a long day, and I was tired although I’d taken a nap between both jobs. My day shift at Staple’s was completed, and I was only an hour and a half from finishing my evening work shift at Meijer. I was just three days from no longer working two jobs on.
This Wednesday “Sarah” and Sadie walked in the glass grocery-side doors at around 8:40pm. (My long day just got better, and I forgot everything proceeding this moment as I genuinely smiled. I felt less exhausted, too. ) Sarah asked if they could proceed any further.
I told her to wait right there, and I would find out. The response I gave back to Sarah was the standard Meijer policy. Only the service type was allowed in. Any other kind was considered a safety and health hazard. (I’m sure you can imagine all the reasons why.)
By now you have probably guessed Sadie is a dog. To be more precise, she was a female puppy of the Dachshund variety (black and brown).  As a dog-loving Meijer employee, I knew I needed to act quickly or the store was about to lose this sale as Sarah turned around and proceeded to exit.
I quickly blurted out, “I could watch Sadie in the lobby while you go in to get dog treats. Believe me, this is the best thing to ever happen to me as a greeter.” Sarah quickly took me up on my offer.
Sadie (and her short stubby legs) was a bit fidgety as she nervously gazed into the store wondering where her master was, and who I was. Meijer customers entering and exiting the building were pleasantly surprised to see both of us. I was complemented several times on my generosity as everyone smiled along with me.
As Sarah got back and thanked me, I asked if I could take a quick picture with my cell phone (attached) as I wondered who would believe me without proof. (I wouldn’t believe it.)
God has a sense of humor, and this particular situation spoke volumes on how well He heard everything I uttered (even jokingly to my three dogs). Regularly, I communicated with my dogs (thinking I was humorous) that I didn’t really like Chihuahuas and would prefer Dachshunds instead.
God temporarily (for five minutes) gave me my heart’s desire. (By the way, I simply adore anything with a Chihuahua on it. There tenacious attitude with those tiny bodies speaks to me emotionally.)
I suggested Petsmart in nearby Easton Market (close to where Staples was). I told Sarah they had a better variety of dog stuff, and I knew she would be allowed to bring Sadie in the store.

I called times like these “God moments.” I know a gracious Heavenly Father loves His children so much that He bestows small surprises on us that cause us to smile and bring our thought patterns into a more grateful mood. Have you had one of these lately? If not, they are all around you. Just look for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...