Friday, July 31, 2015

Distracted

Recently I’ve noticed my adult daughter has not quite been herself. She does all the things in her life that need to be done like work, church, being with her human and canine families time, and quality time with her friends. Her mind seems to be on the drastic change that will happen in her future in mid- September of 2015.
Allena will be going to Akron, OH, for six months of discipleship training at YWAM (Youth with a Mission). This interlude in her young life will have several purposes. First, she will go on a mission’s trip to Haiti. (She went to Costa Rica with the youth group in 2014.)
Second, I hope Allena will figure out her identity as a Christian. (How does Jesus see her?) Third, her mother and I have unsuccessfully been able to help our daughter identify a career path. Her direction in life is floundering since she left studying Criminology at a local college.
It will all be a big change for her (dorm living in an old house), us, her parents (since we’ve never lived for a long period away from her), and her dog, Rosco, that worships her (with some fear). Though her mother knows this is the right step in her life, I’m letting go with a bit of trepidation.
Bobbi and I will be semi-empty nesters. I’ve known Allena all her life. I wonder how her brash behavior will transition into a rather conservative environment. When my daughter returns after 6 months will the personality of the young woman I cherish be there, or have morphed into something unrecognizable?
When I graduated from college in 1986, I thought my career was set and my spirituality was secure. Life changes who you are as it should. If Allena comes back similar to what she was when she left, I don’t want her hopes to be crushed.

I’m starting to believe the phrase “Once a parent; always a parent.” My daughter has a piece of my heart. She always will. Like any parent, I want better for her than I had. If you are a mom or dad, would you agree? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...