Saturday, June 6, 2015

Falling for You

It was a Friday at work, and I wasn’t expecting much excitement. Was I wrong? Around 8:30am, a senior citizen dressed for summer “Ernie” and his claw foot (four feet) cane were a bit wobbly as the two began to enter the door closest to the large display of bottled water. Before Ernie could enter into the store, he fell hard on his elbows as he was almost inside the store.
At this point, all I could think was to find a lead that could help Ernie up safely. I didn’t want to cause any additional damage. It was interesting to see all the people that swarmed around Ernie to offer assistance (in getting him patched up) just like bees swarming around honey. This included someone cleaning up fluids, which I believe were vomit.
Later that evening at my home (around 7pm) I thought of Ernie as I left the bathroom in my room, and tripped up the stairs to the hardwood floors on the main level. Unlike Ernie, my knees took the brunt of the fall.
I have many regrets with the way I dealt with Ernie’s issue. When I saw him wobbling, should I have walked him in arm-in-arm? When he began to fall should I have somehow tried to stop that from happening (by blocking or grabbing him)? It all occurred so fast, and I really believed he was somehow going to right himself at the end.
At around 12:30pm in our Gahanna home, Allena was alone relaxing on the couch (with the electronic foot rest out). With her left hand she was holding the metal brace that connected the foot rest. What Allena didn’t realize (until it was too late) was that the big toe of her right foot was pushing the button to close the foot rest.
The three Chihuahuas didn’t make one sound as Allena screamed in horror and pain as her smashed finger was bleeding onto her arm. She was eventually able to release her damaged finger from the foot rest. After a nearby urgent care visit, her middle finger was wrapped, and antibiotics were prescribed. Allena’s finger became numb. It turned out the nail on her finger was cut along the edge. It may eventually fall off.
When Allena called Bobbi, she was crying hard (heaving), difficult to understand, and loud in volume. By the time Bobbi communicated it to me, the story was quiet and condensed down to a text. (I was surprised to find out our new kitchen knives had not caused the damage.) Allena stopped by the store to give her boss her one day doctor’s excuse. Her boss was not happy, but my daughter looked as if she’d been through a very tough lesson in being an adult, and trusting your own survival instincts.
 “Dottie” was my comic relief close to the end of my work shift (though she didn’t know that at the time). As Dottie got her cart, I couldn’t tell you exactly what we talked about. What I do remember was her shirt. I could see the printed shirt tag, and seams that belonged on the inside of a shirt. (Had Dottie paid attention when she dressed this morning?)
As Dottie walked away from me, in good conscience I couldn’t allow a guest of this store to proceed any further unaware (I believed) that their shirt was inside out. So I tapped Dottie lightly on the right shoulder, (and kindly asked)”Did you know your shirt is inside out?”
Dottie was unaware, and went to the women’s bathroom to take care of the issue. When came out, she was already for a great shopping trip. A former greeter told she had noticed the problem, but was too embarrassed for Dottie to say anything. I can be bold enough to save another human being from embarrassment.
On this day, “Sarah” was my second customer so far to ask (more like challenge) me when I was getting bariatric surgery after I’d discussed my wife’s success with it (see Coming Attractions).
My brain is still trying to figure out if I should take these compliments as concern or nosiness. (Is God trying to tell me something?) My wife will be with me on my July 7, 2015 consultation with the same doctor that did her surgery. I am nervous to see where all this will lead to.

We all know life is messy with nothing neat about it. Some experiences are painful or just plain embarrassing. Our duty while we are here in this world is to make the path easier for someone else. What can you do? All of us are students here in our existence here on Earth. How close are you in learning the lessons you are being taught?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...