Saturday, May 2, 2015

Neverending Praise

“Don’t call attention to yourself; let others do that for you.” (Proverbs 27:2 MSG) Have you ever met (or are related to) someone who is constantly seeking a verbal “pat on the back” for something positive they have done? How does it make you feel to be around that kind of person? (Chances are it does not endear you to that human being.)
I am bad for this. On my days off, I try to run errands or house work (like dishes, laundry, and vacuuming). I make sure my wife gets a full run down when she gets home. Not sure whether I want praise, or to prove I can be useful. Bobbi reminds me of the myriad of duties she performs to keep our home running smoothly. She never needs or asks for accolades. As a wife and mother, theses responsibilities are normal expectations.
Some of you may remember, “Cary,” a utility co-worker mentioned in the post What Would You Do? Cary is handicapped. When there is only one greeter present, he kindly covers breaks and lunch for that greeter so they can take those much needed times of relaxation.
Cary has an irksome habit though that I feel takes more guts than I could ever have (and that’s saying a lot). When Cary does something excellent for one of the store’s guests, he makes sure that he tells them exactly how to get a written commendation to our boss.
My wife reminds me that I am not so different from Cary. In the 1990’s when Bobbi McFarlen was my business associate, she was my contractor and I was her customer service representative. Bobbi reminds me of at least one time where I asked her to put her verbal praise of my work assistance into written format for my supervisor. What goes around usually comes back around to bite you in the butt.

Are you willing to do the right thing whether anyone ever notices it (or not)? Are smiling faces (of appreciation) enough for you? Are you willing to be happy with whatever praise (written or verbal) comes your way, and accept it as a blessing from the Almighty (and that’s all)? Can you live with the satisfaction of a job well done, or to know you have made an encouraging difference for an individual in need?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...