Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Beyond the Chalkboard

When “Tina” walked through the door, I wasn’t sure if I’d read her powder blue t-shirt correctly. So what did I do? I asked her if I could read it. “Nothing can scare me; I’m a retired teacher” made me giggle. Tina and went into an immediate discussion as she got her cart.
I told Tina about my negative substitute teaching experiences in the late eighties (see Forgetful Memories), and my regret that teaching in a Christian school had not worked. (The salary was not enough to sustain a family, which I hoped to do in the future.) You know me and my questions. Here was one question that needed asking.
“Do you think teaching has given you the ability to handle a lot of tough things in your life?” As I expected Lisa felt the career of teaching had given her the ability to have the strength to do so many other things in her existence hear on earth.
She’d ministered in her own unique way to a variety of students with all sorts of needs. (At least, this is the way I was interpreting our discussion.) As the two of us parted each other’s company, I congratulated her on her retirement. Lisa looked back with a smile, and assured me she almost didn’t make it.
Do you have a favorite teacher from your school experience that positively changed your life? Think back, and remember what they did that made them so special.  If this scenario is yours, find a way to contact them. Tell them about the difference they made for you, and what you have done with that gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...