Sunday, April 5, 2015

Coming Attractions

Anyone who knows me is aware of how proud I am of all the weight my wife, Bobbi, has lost as a result of her bariatric surgery on 8/27/14 (see My Three Wives). She is a changed person (on the healthier side) forever. Both her diabetes and asthma are gone, and joint pain is at the bare minimum. To see her before and after, check out the pictures on the post Metamorphosis.
I am in the beginning stages to see if I would be a good candidate for weight loss surgery. My diabetes doctor is in favor of this because my diabetes is not as much under control as it should be.
Some people might say that if I can go from 365 pounds to 329 as a result of exercise and the dietary change our whole family when Bobbi had her surgery, I should be able to lose those excess pounds with a lot of prayer and will power.
Why get this drastic? My desire to consume both good and bad foods is an evil thing. It resembles a spoiled child. If the desire is not met correctly, my want for it comes back even stronger. I believe the only way I’ll ever get control of it is through this permanent lifestyle change.
I have always believed knowledge is power, but in this case I wonder if I know too much. If I allow myself to, fear could take over easily. I am assured that an empathetic Bobbi will be with me every step of the way as she mothers me into complete recovery.
There are some things that I do remember with my wife that could be my lot in the distant future. There is the caring for and healing of the incision and drain whole wound. The ingestion of daily protein is important in keeping hair growth. The diet in recovery transitions from liquid to semi-solids to solids. My wife’s appetite is quickly satiated with the small amount of food she eats. One is not allowed to eat and drink at the same meal (because this eliminates the nutrients your body needs). In the area of sweet stuff “diet, no sugar added, and sugar free” become a welcomed way of life.
Each pill (of those still being taken) must be swallowed ten minutes apart (so the body can ingest them all). Slow sipping of beverages is encouraged as opposed to mindless guzzling. Instead of us eating two separate meals; Bobbi takes a small amount from me when we eat at a restaurant. Eventually after reaching one’s final goal; there’s all the loose skin to deal with.
 Clothing is constantly becoming too big; meaning one has to shop a lot more. (Is that good or bad?) I think the “thin Bobbi” gets more positive than the older version of her did. Would this make a difference in the self-esteem issues connected to my appearance?
No more eating for a small family of four (until I was about to pop). I hear many weight loss patients have less joint pain After watching my wife work at maintaining this new standard of living; I realize that most people who don’t succeed at this method of body remodeling have stopped following the established rules.

Very few things in life happen without some sort of growing pains of either the physical or emotional kind. If you are reading this right now, I am asking you to stop and say a prayer for me as I see where all this leads to. (I’ll take whatever you got.) I’m also counting on you to make small step to just one of your goals. With God’s help I know we can both be successful beyond our wildest dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...