Sunday, January 18, 2015

Why Church?

If you’ve read this blog, you might wonder why I attend church with my issues with praise music (read Misunderstood, but Hopeful) and preaching (read Night, Night). That’s pretty much the entire service excluding the offering (which I have no issues with).
I attend church somewhat for the social aspect. I think being around a small community of believers makes me a better human being. I believe it pleases God when I make a regular habit of going to church. It shows Him that He is important to me. Of course, I can’t always guarantee my attitude will stay in godly manner. I never know what’s going to set my irrational temper off.
When the service gets to be too much for me (spiritually, emotionally, or physically), I do the following: Stay in my seat, fight the boredom (yawning means my concentration is gone) and force myself to stay for the church service. If I can interact with another person during the prayer time (that corresponds with the music) my thought pattern is changed, and the service may be salvaged.
The other option is to walk out. The very little I got from the sermon is gone as I talk with the YMCA staff outside the room we meet in. I will say church gives me many writing ideas for this blog. I hope I have not soured you on church. This is where my longtime record of church attendance has brought me to now. There are times when I am so inspired (or convicted) in my heart by the pastor with a needed reminder it was essential for me to hear. There are also times I am struggling to stay awake that I get very little from what’s spoken by the minister. Unfortunately, there are those times when the service can’t conclude fast enough for me. My cell phone is counting down the minutes until the congregation is dismissed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...