Friday, January 23, 2015

Remembering the Past

The older I get it doesn’t take much to reminisce. In my employment as the “cart man,” I met a senior citizen shuttle driver that worked for a major hotel chain in the central Ohio area. I noticed his crutches were propped up on one of our motorized carts. My offer of assistance and returning the cart to the lobby of the store was accepted. He planned to be out of work for awhile. As we parted company, his statement, “all I want to do is get back to work” mentally returned me to a frightening period of my life.
In May 2009, the dizzy spells I’d been suffering turned out not to be vertigo, but instead a mass on the bottom part of my brain. Though we were unsure what I had yet, I knew I couldn’t keep asking for advance leave. Since I wished to have some money coming in, my wife and I decided I should leave my current employment on medical disability.
My job as a Contract Data Technician had not been how I envisioned retiring career-wise one day. In my heart, I secretly wished God would move me on to something else. (Be careful what you ask for). Months later when it was diagnosed that I had a cancer called Lymphoma, and chemotherapy would follow. I felt like the above man. (I wanted to retire from the government at sixty-five not forty-six.) This wasn’t fair. All I wanted to do was return to work.

Have you been dealt some injustice (by God you assume) health-wise. Your whole world has been turned upside down. You must not give up. Others are watching to see how you will handle this crisis. One day they may face adversity. That day will come when they will recall your courage, which will inspire them to not give in. Do not believe the Enemy’s lie that God has forgotten you. He is very aware of you. God is holding your hand throughout this challenging journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...