Monday, January 19, 2015

Nothing to Do


Have you ever had a day where you had absolutely no responsibilities (or duties) to be concerned about? How did that feel? What did you do? At times like this many people catch up on sleep, laundry, bills, watch countless hours of pre-recorded shows from TV (maybe some premium movie channel), or snack on all their guilty junk food vices (like chips, pop, ice cream, donuts). Lunch with a good friend is also a popular choice for times like this. Days of freedom like this feel similar to chewing peppermint (or spearmint) gum. (Once again, your mouth feels refreshed and your body is awake and alive.)
If you have kept up with the incessant bantering of my blogs, chances are you already know what it might be. Since I was a little boy, I’ve had a love affair with both writing and dogs. Writing has always made me feel loved and important.
 I’ve always known that I’ve been given the ability to clearly, accurately, (and sometimes with humor) get my point across to one or hundreds of individuals. I always take special pride on complements about my writing abilities (more than I do on my singing aptitudes). Something about it says, “What you write is important.”
 Writing for my church congregation brings me close to the Almighty. (To me, this is the “back door” approach to ministry leadership.) Church parishioners read my words, and consider what my language is implying. In manner of speaking isn’t this what a preacher does through his message?
Maybe you have wondered exactly why the writing process energizes me so. Looking at a blank page on Microsoft Word (I later transfer my document onto my blog); I see endless possibilities with what I can create (reconfigure and edit if needed). My only limitation is my imagination. Writing makes me feel confident. Something about this whole wonderful process seems real, natural, and accepting of who I am deep down inside. This is where I shine the brightest.
Being with my dogs is a treat in itself. Their laid-back personalities have blended well with mine. In size, I call them small medium, and large (Rosco, Chico, and Lola).  Lola is the crazy one with her incessant barking and excited pacing.
Rosco is the submissive one except when he is defending someone’s boundaries with his remaining five teeth. Chico is the maternal one of the group (with the ear licking) and vicious growling when he is not being obeyed completely. I’ve learned to love these three characters with all my heart.

So how soon will you be planning a day off? What about attending an enrichment seminar, a trip to a day spa, or being home alone for several hours. As with writing, the possibilities are limitless but the mental break that comes from time off is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...