Friday, January 23, 2015

Born to be Wild

When some of you saw that title, you immediately began humming the 1968 classic by Steppen Wolf. Have you ever done something so out of your character that you still can’t believe you did it? Did you do something unusual like sky diving or zip lining? Did you eat something bizarre like octopus or ostrich?
My hair is now salt and pepper gray. It has always been rather course and straight. In the winter of 1983, I was in my early twenties, and a sophomore at Bob Jones University in Greenville, SC. My hair was still very straight and brownish-black. I became the talk of dorm floor when I left one afternoon with straight hair, and came back later that evening with tight little curls all over my head.
I think the attitude all around me was real men didn’t do this thing. I have never excelled at meeting typical male standards. Whatever they are? At my current age, accept me as I am, or leave me alone. What you see is what you get.
Do you excel at what’s expected of you, or do you work to your own beat? How can anyone else be happy with unless you are happy with you? Explore stuff outside the box. Enjoy life within reason. Shock everyone with one crazy thing, but be safe (and safe) about it.

Pictured is me with my perm in my Bexley, OH home in Christmas of 1983.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...