Saturday, December 27, 2014

Uncomfortable, but Needed

A chill runs down by back as I get ready to admit the following: “God has spoken to me.” The overwhelming feeling that you are supposed to be doing an assigned task (whatever it might be) that just won’t go away. The Bible is full of all kinds of people that have been in the same situation I’ve been in.
My 2014 episodes are as follows: In November 2014, the first God moment that was laid on my heart I was to tell the lead pastor of the church I attend “that God loved her very much.” In conjunction with that I was to give her two used calendars from the late 1980’s that dealt with “talents” and “women of the Bible”. (I’d discovered them in a box from the garage I was cleaning out.)The actual Sunday “the transfer” happened was rather rushed and anti-climactic. My arguing with God the week prior that this was crazy had not stopped the delivery as assigned. (I later discovered through a thank-you note from the pastor that my obedience to God in doing what I did had meant more to her than I could imagine.)
My next God moment occurred in December 2014 in a warehouse club store. The face of a receptionist (name unknown) from a urology office I’d be visiting the next day came to my mind.  I happened to stop at the table of the 365 day “tear-away” calendars.
Though I was gravitating toward looking at the more humorous calendars, God lead me to the inspirational Joel Olsteen one. He very clearly spoke to my heart with the words, “Give her this to bless and encourage her.”The actual deed the next day was rushed (and awkward) as I gave her the unwrapped calendar (God was specific about not wrapping it up for Christmas). I got a “thank you” from the unnamed female (whose name I later discovered).
I wish I could assure you both God assignments were wonderful experiences. Instead they were awkward, embarrassing ventures outside my own faith. In the future, I will continue to do what is requested of me in obedience to God. (He doesn’t let up emotionally until the assignment is completed.) I will say that it is a wonderful feeling to be assured God can use your frailty (and little faith) in service for Him. It can’t get any better than this.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...