Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Next Sarcastic Comment

On Christmas 2014, I received one of my all-time favorite Christmas gifts. It’s a gray t-shirt (in a size smaller than I usually wear) with large white lettering that proudly states, “NEXT SARCASTIC COMMENT IN.” The countdown underneath is in bright red numbering, and goes like this, “3… 2… 1…”
There is something so wrong (and offensive) about this shirt, but I love it. How do you take your wife telling you she just had to get this for you no matter size? What does it say about me that I know the shirt is true of me, and I’m not bothered by it? I embrace sarcasm (just ask my family). 
You would seldom find me being sarcastic (or rude) to strangers, friends or extended family. As wonderful as my mother is, she has been known (at times in her past) to have the ability to verbally put someone in their place. I got the ability to do be assertive) both verbally (from mom) and in writing (God-given ability). I think sarcasm with my wife and daughter is something I have developed as a protection (and defense mode).

Sarcasm with both my wife and daughter accomplishes nothing but a large argument where lots of things are said that no one really believes. I can say over much of the stuff I argue about in a much less abrasive way. Why don’t I? sarcasm is a cop out. It’s a lazy man’s rout of escape. Eliminating sarcasm in our world is something we should all strive to do. There would be a lot fewer flared tempers, and the world would be a much happier place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...