Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Always

Teach them to do everything I have commanded you. “And remember that I am always with you until the end of time.” (Matthew 28:20, GW)

The gospel of John is the only one that contains all seven of Jesus’ “I am” statements. Each one had special meaning which the Jews understood. The “I am” statements prove that Jesus is God. He told Moses His name is “I am,” and “Say this to the people of Israel: I am has sent me to you’” (Ex 3:14b).  I am,” means the self-existent one and always “being,” unlike we who at one time didn’t exist. Only after birth did we come into being, and we are human, finite beings, but God is and always was, since He inhabits eternity.

1.      I am the Bread of Life: Just after Jesus fed the five thousand (which if you counted the spouses and children could have been fifteen thousand or more) they followed Him, not for the right reason.  He told them “they were not following Him for His miracles, but for the loaves of bread He provided.

They only wanted more bread for their stomach so Jesus said, He did not want them to work for food that can go bad, but for the food that lasts eternally, which only Jesus could provide. He said, “I am the Bread of Life,” Jesus told them. “No one who comes to me will ever be hungry, and no one who believes in me will ever be thirsty again.” (John 6:35, CSB)

2.   I am the Gate: Jesus says, in speaking about His sheep, I am the Gate. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will come in and go out and find pasture (John 10:9, CSB). He guards the door to the sheep pen, by lying down at the door, as shepherds used to (and some still) do. No one gets in the pen without going through the door, which is Jesus Christ.

 
3.   I am the Good Shepherd: Shortly after saying He was the Gate, Jesus adds, I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. (John 10:11, CSB). The sheep are helpless without the Shepherd because the Shepherd leads them to green pastures, leads them to still waters because sheep are easily frightened by moving water, but this Shepherd says willingly, “I lay down my life for the sheep.”

 
4.   I am the Light of the World: With the Pharisees and other religious leaders there, “Jesus spoke to them again: “I am the Light of the World. Anyone who follows me will never walk in the darkness but will have the light of life. (John 8:12, CSB). For those who don’t believe, they are walking in darkness and in the ways of Satan. The light of Jesus brings us out of darkness and into the light.
 

5.   I am the Resurrection: Since He raised people from the dead, Jesus said to her, “I am the Resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me, even if he dies, will live. (John 11:25, CSB)  Martha and Mary, Lazarus’ sisters, found this statement to be true, even though Jesus was speaking of those who have eternal life by believing in Him. We who trust in Christ will live again. Jesus has been asking this question for two thousand years; “Do you believe this?”

 
6.   I am the Vine: The vine was symbolic of ancient Israel. It was actually engraved in the temple, and other various places. Israel was to be a fruitful vine, Jesus, as the Vine is the only way a branch can produce fruit. Without abiding in Christ, the true Vine, we can do nothing. He is the source of the fruit of our branches.

Unless we abide in Him, there may be no further use for the branch.  “I am the vine. You are the branches. The one who remains in Me and I in him produces much fruit because you can do nothing without Me. (John 15:5, CSB) Notice it proves we are His disciples if we bear much fruit, which grows in many different ways whether it’s a little or much.

7.   I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: Jesus told him, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”. (John 14:6, CSB)  He, was declaring He was not one of many ways, but the only way. He is not a truth, and we know He was full of grace.  Grace without truth could lead to a license to sin, but truth without grace can end up as legalism.

 Jesus says He is the Life, meaning He is the resurrection and the life. We can read about Lazarus and know that is true. Jesus was the only way to life for Lazarus, and that’s the truth, because there is no other way than through Jesus to receive eternal life, Do you believe this?

I’m a failure. He’s my Forgiver. I’m a sinner. He’s my Savior. I’m broken. He’s my Healer. I’m His child. He’s my God." (Spiritual Inspiration @ PastorNaeem)[i]



[i] Source used: “The Seven I Am’s of Jesus” by Jack Wellman
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...