Sunday, March 26, 2017

Her Firstborn Son

While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped Him in cloths and placed Him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.” (Luke 2:6-7, NIV)

 My daughter, Allena, gets some very unique writing assignments for her English Composition 2 course at college in Circleville, OH. One of my favorite writing projects had instruction similar to this. “Choose any passage of scripture for this writing assignment that does not contain human conversation in it, and add your own narrative. Your creation should complement the original scripture, and in no way contradict it.”

 I was not surprised my daughter chose the scripture passage at the top of this post. As a teenager, Allena has always had the desire to help those in need whether it’s locally, internationally, (or in the way she writes). 

Maybe it's the values Bobbi and I raised her with from childhood. I wouldn't expect her true nature to change from what it has always been . Who could possibly need more assistance than a young female giving birth to her first child (away from home, without her mother, and in pain)?

I have no doubt that If my daughter could have somehow physically jumped into her own narrative to have offered help to Mary; she would have. I know Allena well because that's just who she is at the core of her being: a passionate good person.

In this piece, Allena has managed to artistically (and carefully) give us a glance into this intimate and important moment in the humanness of Mary. Like the mother of our Savior, we all know life can be scary (and unpredictable) at times with all of its twists and turns. Allena incorporates her own unique familiar brand of female frailty (and strength) throughout this dialog. Without further delay I present to you “The Chosen One.”

I keep telling myself "I cannot do this,  I cannot do this." I know I do not have a choice. I know that it is okay to be afraid, I have moved beyond fear to terror as my body begins to shake in fear. The idea of giving birth to my Child that will be saving millions of lives. I cannot even begin to comprehend that.

           “Mary… Mary… hello, is there anybody in there?” Joseph teasingly asks as he hands me a large blanket.
 
“Yes, I am here. I was off in another world, I’m sorry.” I responded with confusion in my voice. Joseph continues to hand me the items we need to make my makeshift bed. It was starting to get dark outside. Joseph began to light the few oil lamps that were in the stable. How is he not afraid about becoming a father? He is continuing as if nothing major is about to happen. I guess that is what he is supposed to do.

He is the man. He is here to comfort me when I am scared. My body starts to warn me that the time is coming close. The birthing pains are starting, and they are excruciating at this point.  I know that they are going to get worse. I know this because I have seen other women go through this back in my home village.

 I am a teenager, and I know this is a normal thing to happen at my age. I just never thought it would actually happen to me, and of all places at a stable. Are you kidding me? I could imagine being in a well lit home with a midwife. Not me, I am doing this in a stable that smells terrible, and with a man that is supposed to be my husband. I do not even know him that well. This is so uncomfortable. A man being here when I’m giving birth. I do not want him to see me in a state of vulnerability. This man is not even the father of this child. He did not have any part of making this baby at all.

 Why am I so special to carry Jesus. Why not another woman more qualified than I am? I remember when the angel  said, “You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus.” I (in the end) am the Lord’s servant, and I agreed to this. I cannot go back on my promise to the Lord.  However, I am not in the mood to do this (not one single bit). This is not how newlyweds usually spend their time together. Nevertheless (either way) this baby is not staying in me. It is going to come out some way. No matter if I want to give birth or not.  

 As the hot tears slide down my cheeks, I know I have to do this now. My body is not giving me the warning sign anymore; it is giving me the “go.”  My baby is coming, and it is coming now. The tears pour down my face. Poor Joseph, I am breaking his hand by squeezing so hard. The pain is lasting for what feels like a lifetime, the worst pain I have felt in my life. Why would the angel not warn me about it being this painful? At least I would have known what to expect. Why am I being punished?  I am so faithful to God, and this how I am repaid?

 I am saying a silent prayer: “I’m crying out to you God, I need you right now, I cannot do this alone.” Only a couple more minutes of this pain I tell myself. Then I will be holding my perfect little Boy.

The sound of crying fills my ears. I smile because my Jesus is here. As I hold Him in my arms, I look into his eyes and realize how perfect He is, (just like the angel said He would be). Joseph smiles at me as he hands me the last clean cloth. I begin to wrap the soft cloth around Jesus. As I hold Him in my arms, tears start to stream down my cheeks: tears of relief, tears of joy, and tears of exhaustion. My mind begins to wander back to when Gabriel came to me.

 He told me, “You will be with Child and give birth to a Son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus.” I was so scared that I was left speechless; shocked. I did not know what to think. It seems that every time this memory comes up I cry. Before my Jesus arrived, I didn’t know how this would go, or if I could really even do it. I have learned that I am worthy enough to carry Jesus.

“Mary, do you want to get some rest? You’ve been through a lot,” asks Joseph.

           “Yes, I would like to.” exhaustion fills my voice as I responded.
 
As the exhaustion kicks in, I slowly lay my beloved Jesus in the manger. I struggle to lay him down; I just want to hold him all night. Looking into his eyes it officially sinks into my mind that my Jesus will save millions.

If you’ve ever read Luke 1: 26-38, are you able to picture the Virgin Mary (above) as a life coach? Here are ten lessons on living that only the mother of Jesus could impart.

1.    “In the six month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy”[i] God’s clock was already ticking when the angel came to Mary. Just because God announces something to me doesn’t mean it began with me.

 2.    “Pledged to be married” We have our plans. God has His.

 3.  “You who are highly favored. The Lord is with you” Notice the connection between His favor and His presence. How could it be otherwise?

 4.  “Mary was greatly troubled at his words” When His favor is upon us, it can be unsettling.

 5.  “You will be with Child” Sometimes we enlist in the purposes of God, sometimes we are drafted.

 6.  “How will this be?” There is a world of difference between asking God “how” and asking him “why.”

 7.   “The Holy Spirit will come upon you” When God answers the “how” question, it can be a total surprise.

8.   “For nothing is impossible with God” You heard Him, but deep down inside you already knew this truth.

 9.   “I am the Lord’s servant” Even though Mary was drafted, she responds with a willing heart. It would make all the difference over the next thirty years.

 10.  “Then the angel left her” There are times when we have angelic help, and there are times when we are on our own.[ii]

“Jesus humbled himself. He went from commanding angels to sleeping in the straw. [He went] from holding stars to clutching Mary's finger. The palm that held the universe took the nail of a soldier. “Why” [you ask] because that's what love does. It puts the beloved before itself.” (Max Lucado)



My daughter, Allena Kinker, author of "The Chosen One"



[i] Luke 1:40 (VOICE) says, "Where her cousins Zacharias and Elizabeth lived." By the time Mary returned to Nazareth, she would have been around 3.5 months along. John the Baptist may have been during Mary's stay at Elizabeth and Zachariah’s home in Jerusalem. See this link for how I came to my conclusions about this:

[ii] Adapted from: “Ten Leadership Lessons from Mary, the Mother of Jesus” by Ray Hollenbeck. Some minor grammar editing was done by me on "The Chosen One."


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...