Thursday, October 27, 2016

Full Blast

It was Thursday, October 20, 2016. Bobbi had taken the day off for a fasting physical and mammogram, and this was my regularly planned off day from Staples. [i]

Among other chores we would accomplish included: Stopping by the Gahanna branch of my local library to pick up my audio book that was on hold (Tim Gunn: The Natty Professor); pick up gardening and Christmas supplies (outside white snowflake projection lights, while they lasted) at Lowe’s (where Bobbi works part-time); and my weekly counseling appointment (my wife was the surprise guest).

One decision that was unplanned was stopping by our local Dairy Queen (DQ) for a sweet treat. I got a small Pumpkin Blizzard (complete with graham cracker crust pieces), and Bobbi got a child-size vanilla/chocolate twist cone. This may not have been the best decision for a diabetic and a bariatric patient, but at least we showed restraint in the sizes we chose.

When I looked at the DQ slogan of “the fun is in the filling” on my cup, guess what my brain did. It quietly declared, “Wouldn’t that make a great blog post?”  That motto immediately reminded me of the verses, Ephesians 5:18, 20-21 (MSG):
“Don’t drink too much wine that cheapens your life. Drink [in] the Spirit of God [in] huge [gulps] of Him. Sing praises over everything. [Make] any excuse for a song to God the Father in the name of our Master, Jesus Christ. Out of respect for Christ, be courteously reverent to one another.”
Here are three unique points of view on the topic of the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost). Is there anything here that can be helpful to your life?
1.  “…The Holy Spirit is an often an unknown and misunderstood member of the Trinity. When we surrender our lives to Jesus Christ, God gives us the gifts of His Holy Spirit in our hearts. He is an encourager, enabler, and revealer of truth to us. The Bible says that He is also our Source of love from God. If you have realized that God cares for you, this was the work of the spirit.”[ii]

2.    “…Fortunately, there is another source of comfort that is always there when you need it…He is called the ‘Father of sympathy and the God of every comfort, who consoles us in every trouble’ (2 Corinthians 1:3-4).
When I hurt, I have learned to run to God first, instead of another person or substance. I’m not saying this is automatic. It took me years to get this straight, and I still have to sometime remind myself that what I truly need is spiritual nourishment. But learning this habit will do more to keep your mind and body sound, and your life on an even than anything you I know. Your spirit needs nourishment just like your body does. Don’t wait until you have a spiritual crisis in your life to start feeding it…” [iii]

3.  “Paul contrasted being drunk with wine, which produces harmful effects, to being filled with the Spirit, which produces positive effects. What matters is not how much of the Holy Spirit we have, but how much of us the Holy Spirit has. We need to submit to His leading, and draw on His power. Some effects of being filled with the Holy Spirit are mentioned in [the above scripture].”[iv]




[i] According to The New Dictionary of American Slang, full blast means “to the limit of capacity, with no restraint, or all-out.”
Rd5
[ii] Taken from The Love Dare: Day by Day by Stephen and Alex Kendrick, “Day 183:  Love Is Given by the Spirit”

[iii] Taken from Look Great Feel Great by Joyce Meyer, “Key 8:Curb Your Spiritual Hunger”

[iv] Adapted from the Life Application Bible, King James Version, note on Ephesians 5:18

1 comment:

  1. I think you and your wife were very much in control regrading your treats at the Dairy Queen. I my self would have been un able to do so. I have a problem with control when it comes to Ice Cream. DQ is one of my favorite spots to visit as I drive up and down the streets of Gahana, such a beautiful community. However I must always remember every thing in moderation. So my friend continue to keep moderation when you treat yourself to the wonderful DQ. Boy, you are stronger than I. I have done an ice cream run in the heart of winter. Even if I was in the crazy winter in Minnesota. I would Challenge the cold -43 degrees to get the fix for my Ice Cream. With that said, I try hard to keep it out of the house. You are such the person to write this fun article. Many blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...