Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Second in Command

Near the end of September 2016, Bobbi got a small white envelope from our daughter, Allena (at school in Circleville, OH). The index card letter inside read:

“Hi Mama 
I’ve had this bracelet for awhile now. I have one, and I wanted us to have matching ones. I hope it reminds you to always put God first.

This song came on while I was writing this. You should listen to ‘Arms That Hold the Universe’ by 33Miles.”[i]

“Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God. I will praise Him again – my Savior and my God….” (Psalm 42:5-6, NLT)

Also enclosed in the envelope was a pink rubber bracelet with the phrase “I AM SECOND” on it in white lettering. The attached product tag said this:

“Peace, purpose, happiness –Everyone is looking for something, some kind of satisfaction. But what if life is not about you? What if life is about something bigger, Someone bigger? What if you live Second? Join the movement, and find out what it means to be “Second.”

CAUTION: This product may cause conversations with complete strangers. [An] explanation of Second will be required. Watch the films at iamsecond.com.”

I have discovered two main lessons about myself in my Christian walk. The first is when I am emotionally (or physically) worn-out, I tend to stop fighting Satan (and give in to his demands).

Sometimes temptation comes in the form of hunger, exhaustion, or boredom (when I am at my weakest). Often I give in with open welcoming arms without a hint of resistance. (The Devil always makes sure to condemn me for my poor Christianity afterward (and instigates me to give into your selfish desires before). The Father of Lies (John 8:44) makes this losing proposition either way.

Second, when I try to control something that the Heavenly Father should be in control of; I tend to jumble it all up by inadvertently causing chaos for myself (and anyone else involved).

I want to be in control (and it upsets me) when I have to pass it over to the Almighty (or anyone else). Trying to be in control constantly is an exercise in futility that causes you to be rather jaded as you believe that you are the only one with the perfect solution.

Here are a few insights from both the scriptures (and other knowledgeable individuals) that may be able to aid you in your spiritual warfare against the evil forces of darkness.

At least, they will get you thinking in a Heavenly direction. God has given you all the power you need to be a conqueror (in your personal life):

1.  “My grace is enough; it’s all you need. My strength comes to its own in your weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9, MSG) 

3.  "The devil is a better theologian than any of us…."     (Billy Sunday)


4.  “After all, we don’t want to unwittingly give Satan an opening for yet more mischief – we’re not oblivious to his sly ways.” (2 Corinthians 2:11, MSG)

5.  "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list." (William Howells)

6.  “Those who live to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit.” (Galatians 6:8, NLT)  [ii]

7.  "The devil divides the world between atheism and superstition." (C.S. Lewis)[iii]


Bobbi modeling bracelet







[i] VERSE ONE
I know it seems like this could be the darkest day you’ve known
But believe you me, the God of strength will never let you go
He will overcome, I know
And the arms that hold the universe are holding you tonight
You can rest inside, it’s gonna be alright
And the voice that calmed the raging sea is calling you His child
So be still and know He’s in control
He will never let go
Through many dangers, toils, and snares you have already come
His grace has brought you safe this far, His grace will lead you home

CHORUS
You can hope, you can rise, you can stand
He’s still got the whole world in His hands
You can hope, you can rise, you can stand
He’s still got the whole world, the whole world in His hands



[ii] This blog topic was suggested by my wife, Bobbi.

[iii] "The devil divides the world between denial in the existence of God and unreasonable beliefs held by a faith in God." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...