Friday, May 20, 2016

Stubborn

Throughout my life, obedience to any type of authority has been a struggle. It really doesn’t matter whether authority is God, a family member, an educator or spiritual leader (of any kind), a work boss, or anyone else that tries to tell me what to do.

Sometimes in a variety of situations; it’s all I can do to hold back this highly immature phrase (whether it’s true or not), “You’re not my boss. You can’t tell me what to do.”

Every time I read Genesis 22: 1-19, I cringe as a father. Abraham and Sarah were an older couple when their only biological child, a son named “Isaac,” was born. Though the Bible gives us no indication as to how old the participants in this story, God requested Abraham and Isaac travel to Mount Moriah to make a sacrifice to Him.

The twist in this story is Abraham knows God is asking him to sacrifice his only son, Isaac. I believe the Almighty was testing Abraham to see if his loyalty to Him was stronger than his desire to willingly give up fatherhood. Though the conclusion to this story is positive, read it for yourself (if you are un familiar with it).

I think the above situation was a man’s duty, I sincerely Sarah was not invited on the trip because the Heavenly Father (knew in His infinite wisdom) that this would be too great a test of faith for any mother. If Sarah knew God’s plan, I think she would have tried to stop it. (In the gospels, Mary, is required to sacrifice her son, Jesus, for the salvation of the world.)

Have you ever considered that Abraham was not the only one required to show obedience in this story? Isaac also had to be obedient as the sacrifice. Chances are Isaac could have overpowered his father in his old age to get off the altar if he’d chosen to.

Scripture does not indicate this happened. Instead verse nine of this account seems to indicate surrender to both the will of God and Abraham. It may be wrong of me to admit that if I had to choose between the Almighty and my child, I’m almost sure I would not make a divine choice. (This kind of absolute surrender to God is foreign to me.)

Being obedient to God in your life can happen in a variety of ways. It can take place…
1.   In your heart by loving the Almighty more than any relationship, activity, achievement, or possession.
2.   In your will by committing ourselves completely to the Almighty.
3.   In your mind by seeking to know the Almighty and His word, so His principles and values form the foundation of all we think and do.
4.   In your body by recognizing that our strengths, talents, and sexuality are given to us by the Almighty to be used for pleasure and fulfillment according to His rules, not ours.
5.   In your finances by deciding that all of the resources we have ultimately come from the Almighty, and that we are to be managers and not owners.
6.   In your future by deciding to make service to the Almighty and man, the main purpose of our life’s work.*

There are things in my personality that I need to surrender to the will of my Heavenly Father.  I Samuel 15:22(MSG) hits me between the eyes with it truth. It gives me a great idea of where I should start in submission of my stubborn will. I’ve got to ask you, “Does the verse below apply to you too?”

“Do you think all God wants are sacrifices-empty rituals just for show? He wants you to listen to Him! Plain listening is the thing, not staging a lavish religious production.”

*Adapted from the article, “Obedience,” from The Life Application Bible, New International Version edition.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...