Friday, May 27, 2016

A Bit Sheepish

I feel as a blogger that my unquenchable curiosity makes me seek out answers to all the many ideas that continuously bounce around in my brain.

My unique voice in the religious community desires to simply communicate important spiritual truths in an uplifting manner.

From The Living Bible (TLB), you will find the focus of this post below:

Because the Lord is my Shepherd, I have everything I need! He lets me rest in the meadow grass and leads me beside the quiet streams. He gives me new strength.

He helps me do what honors him the most. Even when walking through the dark valley of death I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me, guarding, guiding all the way. You provide delicious food for me in the presence of my enemies.

You have welcomed me as your guest; blessings overflow!  Your goodness and unfailing kindness shall be with me all of my life, and afterwards I will live with you forever in your home.

Like me, have you always wondered how Psalms 23 became associated with funerals? In the 1900’s in America, the Episcopal Church (in their edition of The Book of Common Prayer) recommended the above scripture to be used in conjunction with the burial of children.

Eventually, this scripture became a staple at Christian funeral services everywhere. It is also used as a prayer in times of illness or suffering in the Jewish community.

What follows are insights on this familiar chapter that are adapted from notes from The Life Application Bible, New International Version edition. May they supply you with needed inspiration.

1.  King David was a Shepherd boy in his younger years. (I Samuel 16: 1-13) Those experiences were used in describing the Lord as his Shepherd.
2.  Sheep are completely dependent on a shepherd for provision, guidance, and protection as Jesus did in John 10:1-21 (as the Good Shepherd).

3.  We should not be like a frightened, passive sheep.  Instead, we should be obedient followers that are wise enough to proceed toward the Almighty where anything right in our life exist. The important point is to follow the Good Shepherd when you recognize Him.

4.  When we follow the Heavenly Father, contentment is the result. Don’t blame the Almighty about the negative repercussions that happen when you purposely choose to make the wrong choices.

Rebelling against God goes against our own best interests. Our Shepherd knows the best “meadow grass and quiet streams” to restore us in with when we obediently submit (and follow) to His lead.

We should avoid doing our own thing. Does it work in the end? Instead, seek His abundant blessings in your life (that are all around you).

5.  We can struggle with pain, injury, disease, and suffering through out a lifetime. Death leaves us powerless because strength and courage cannot overcome it (as it has the final word).

6.  The Almighty is the only One that can lead us safely through the dark valley of death to the other side with his own brand of soothing reassurance.

7.  In Near Eastern culture, it was customary at a banquet to use aromatic oils as a cream to rub on guests. Hosts protected their visitors at all costs. God offers the protection an angelic host when our enemies surround us.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...