Saturday, February 27, 2016

More Confused (Than Normal)

When I saw the following post (you will soon read) from my wife (Bobbi) on my Facebook page, I assumed she had written it. (I found later from her that it was actually a repost from someone else.)

 I was uncertain and a bit concerned (as were other friends and family members on Facebook) as to whether this was a new revelation about herself, or a reflection on me (her husband) or her late father (Donald McFarlen) and our mutual commonality.

Don and I both had two things in common. We are the most important men in her life. We’d inadvertently caused Bobbi sadness and fear. Speaking in her father’s place, she means the world to both of us.

“With a broken heart and tears in my eyes, I can honestly say this is by far the most difficult time ever. I know what cancer and treatment can do to a body and mind as I've watched this transformation.

I sometimes wonder if the treatment is worth it in the long haul. It seems to do more harm than good. Nothing is more painful than watching someone at the end of their life because of cancer. Trying to smile and remain positive, but after chemo and radiation, you know the person is physically changed and they suffer with this sadness…

For all the men and women I know, I ask you a small favor…If you know someone who has led a battle against cancer, still struggling or who passed, [take a moment to recall a positive memory of them]…Thank you!”

If you are experiencing any kind of sorrow, Psalms 34:18 (MSG) is a scriptural promise you can cling to in times of despair. If your heart is broken, you’ll find God right there; if you’re kicked in the gut, he’ll help you catch your breath.

Remember, our loving Father always heals those who are physically ill. God can do that here on Earth, or choose to do that in Heaven. It is completely His decision.


If you are open to it, God can even use your suffering as a means to honor (and glorify) Him (Job 1:8, 22; John 11:4). Psalms 59:17 (ERV) provides another enduring guarantee to grasp onto through both good and bad times. You, God, are my place of safety. You are the God who loves me!


1 comment:

  1. This is too deep. You're fighter. And Bobbi indeed a strong person.

    ReplyDelete

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...