Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Tattoo

A thirty-something female patron (“Maneisha”) proceeded to my register to purchase a couple items. I noticed she had a quote tattooed on her left arm. I asked her about it as I scanned and bagged her Staple purchases.
Maneisha explained that the following quote (by Dan Millman) was one of her father’s favorites (and hers as well). It spoke to the deepest part of her as a woman and a daughter.
(As I was not able to write the exact saying down at the time, this is the closest facsimile I could discover after the fact.) The quotation says, “Life comes at us in waves. We can’t predict or control those waves, but we can learn to ride the surf.”
Even if one is doing everything thing right during their lifetime, unexpected health, financial, or relationship crises (negative in nature) can completely derail the life path one has planned for their future.
There are also fantastic things that can happen (which can change the mindset of the individual receiving them). Examples of this could be becoming a spouse, parenthood, grandparenthood, venturing into a mode of employment, or effectively altering your spiritual connection with God.
The prime example of this in my life was my cancer (Lymphoma) in 2009. Though I am in remission now, I remember the fear (and questioning of God) during this period of time. I very quickly realized I had a choice to make. I could be negative about this whole experience, or learn to find the positives. I chose the last choice. Several individuals told me I inspired them (on my free Caringbridge website for sick people) as to the way I was dealing with this challenge. 
During this time, I was able to get published; immerse myself in volunteer work (I couldn’t effectively do with a fulltime job); our family adopted our two beloved male Chihuahuas (to be with me during the day); and I got to see our daughter, Allena, (thirteen at the time) off and back from her school bus.
I won’t say positive thinking will make everything in life perfect because it won’t. Sometimes you have to combine that with your faith and hard work to get the results you want. Give it your best try, and see what happens.
 Maybe the right opportunity will come along, and alter your boring life to something quite extraordinary. Stepping outside of all that makes you feel comfortable could produce results you never imagined were possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...