Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Completely Profitable

One of my all-time favorite philosophers is Oprah Winfrey. I admire what she’s accomplished with her life. Recently, I heard her speak the following statement on her new Weight Watcher commercials. The truth of “nothing you’ve ever been through is wasted” struck me like an emotional lightning bolt.
One incident God chose to allow us to experience together as a couple eight times was our miscarriages. This is not something either Bobbi or I would have chosen to be “the experts” at. Through this experience Bobbi was able to co-lead a miscarriage support group (see Bobbi’s Story) for women grieving over the loss of their babies.
Unless we’d had both gone through this dark time early in our marriage, how could we have possibly had the unique opportunity to empathize with those that didn’t see a way out of this devastating life event.
I think God knew in His infinite wisdom that our marriage could only handle one high intensity child (so much like me). More than one Allena could be extremely stressful for Bobbi and my marital union. (Though I do love my unique daughter very much.)
I have had a very methodical process I’ve used in writing the three books I’ve had published (All for One; Dear God, Please Make Me the Person My Dogs Think I Am; and Whatever).
Though I’ve never reached world-wide fame with my books like authors Janet Evanovich, Sophie Kinsella, Richard Paul Evans, or Nicholas Sparks has, several friends that wanted to know the proper way to organize a manuscript for easy accessibility during the editing process contacted me.
It’s sad to think I am the closest thing they know to a famous author, which I am not. (Really, I like to hold people captive with chatter on a subject I have experience on.) Whether any of these people got their manuscript published because of my input is not important. It’s good to know I improved someone’s existence.
Let me say how much I admire someone passes the talking stage of writing manuscript, to writing it, and finally seeking a publisher. (All are hard stages by themselves.) The public can’t read what you’ve written unless you put it out for the world to view by electronic or hardcopy.
The positive aftershocks (of weight loss) in our family as a result of my wife’s 2014 bariatric surgery (see My Three Wives) could never have been imagined in my wildest dreams. Bobbi has had the opportunity multiple times to communicate with other women considering the same type of procedure.
Bobbi has encouraged (to look to a positive future), empathized (with their concerns), and educated (about after care) those women she has spoken. As a result of wife’s sharing, the love of God has been shown.
Now that you’ve read all about me let’s talk about you.  What life experiences have you been through that help (or enrich) someone else’s life. If it’s not possible to do that as a job, have you ever thought about volunteering for the right organization that will allow you to use your experiences?

Will you hid the light God has given you, or allow your talents to shine brightly for Him and others (Matthew 5:15-16)? Only you can make the decision that is right for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...