Thursday, August 6, 2015

Mission Accomplished

Maybe you’ve heard of The Love Dare (by Stephen and Alex Kendrick) through a friend, a bookstore, the movie Fireproof, or by my post Meant to be. With the help of a good support system, I have finally completed this journey into my marital relations with my wife, Bobbi. Several times I almost quit due to “moments of intense fellowship” with my spouse (a friend’s positive way to rephrase this uncomfortable fighting time in a marriage). I am not the same Robert that entered this challenge forty days ago.
By no means would there be an admission from me that I or my marriage is now all fixed up. Learning to better love your spouse never stops. I believe it extends into the afterlife.  The Love Dare has given me a new perspective on better cherishing the wife that has been with me through all my major life events.
Though every reading and challenge in this journal did not impact me as other ones did, here are some of the important gems I have learned (or relearned) along this rewarding pathway of discovery. (I am so thankful my pastor challenged me do this for the health of my marriage.)
In a disagreement with Bobbi, everything that enters my brain does not necessarily need to come out of my mouth. It’s important to respect Bobbi’s opinion (as of prime value) as I continue to honor her, God’s magnificent, timely creation (most of the time).  
A short couple prayer (and devotional) at the beginning of the day tends to put a positive spin on the encounters in both of your daily schedules. My union with my wife must be a covenant (unbreakable, in the Bible) not a contract (can be easily broken).
Little daily acts of kindness to Bobbi really to make a difference (dishes, laundry, vacuuming). Don’t allow your feelings to decide if you will love your spouse. Make it a choice through both the good and bad.
I could go on, but I won’t. There is no guarantee The Love Dare will have any kind of helpful effect on a marriage that is riddled with trials. Successfully uniting to strangers together in a marital union doesn’t just happen.
It takes lots of grueling labor on your part. God can make a difference if you ask Him. What have you got to lose by giving this a try? Even if there is no happy ending for you as in the Fireproof movie, I am 99.9% sure you will come out a changed person as I did.

                                                                    

1 comment:

  1. Robert that is some of the best advice I have ever heard or read from you. Our relationship goes back a long time and I am thrilled to see the growth manifested in your blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...