Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Decline

“Fathers, do not exasperate your children, that they may not lose heart.” (Colossians 3:21 NAS) I am fully aware at this point in my life that I do not excel in my fathering skills. My wife feels that my parenting abilities swiftly declined to a C- about the time I was dealing with my cancer. (Allena was thirteen, and in middle school. See post Remembering the Past.)
After that time (though I was still involved in her school life), I lost a lot of my patience with her crazy antics and female drama. Though I will always love and care for her, I find no pleasure in constantly dealing with an extreme wacky version of myself.
As a young adult, Allena is kind and compassionate. She has matured so much.  As a dad, I am constantly at the end of my rope with some thoughtless word uttered or deed done that is geared towards her mother or me. I hate the sound of my voice as I once again harp on things like her trash pit of a room, her clean clothes that are piling up outside the laundry room (our room), skipping her college classes, having no regard for picking up her stuff from the common living areas.
At times I am so flustered that a red-faced me yells mean sentiments to my daughter that have been buried deep in my heart. At times, I’m sure that what’s come out of my mouth has neither edified nor given Allena anything positive to build her life on.  

I try to respect who Allena is, but at times I want to edit parts of her to keeping her from dealing with all the negatives involved with being an Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) individual. One day if Allena chooses to be a mother, I hope she uses all the positive stuff I taught her and ignores the bad. Dads, be the best at your job that you can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...