Monday, March 30, 2015

Paranoid

Are you nervous being around people of different faiths? What if they are standing at your door wanting to tell you about their beliefs? How does that make you feel? Many times when a person is apprehensive about someone else making their faith known to them, it boils down to this.
They are fearful of being converted because they have no idea as to what they believe. This is unacceptable as most churches have brochures covering the tenets of faith of that particular faith. I have been in a Jehovah Witness’s Bible study.
Since I am certain of my faith, I have no problem letting the people who lead it where my viewpoint differs. If I no longer wish to participate in their Bible study, I have no problem making that also known. Could you do this?
 It’s pure laziness to not make the effort to get a beliefs brochure at your church, and read it. If you spend time watching TV or using the Internet, one can spend fifteen minutes to discover the beliefs of their faith.
When I was younger, I was lead to believe it was acceptable to do whatever needs to be done to get rid of the religious fanatics (as some would see it) that are knocking at your door. With age, comes maturity. I have visited with both the Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses.
I do my best to show them the respect I would want if I were on the other side of the door. Though I do not believe everything I hear. I can find commonalities with what I think in reference to other faiths. To be honest, I admire the zeal and desire to help others that both the Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses display.
My first experience with the Mormon faith occurred several summers ago with two male missionaries (called brothers) that came to my door to discuss their faith. The conversation ended with a desire to know if they could help with anything. I decided to put that to the test. I looked over at my weeded-infested garden, and told them I needed some weeds pulled. The following Saturday they came, and did as was promised.
My wife and I met two Mormon sisters that came to our house several times. We decided to show the love of God to them by lending out two bicycles to the sisters so they could get around in Columbus.
One Sunday evening while my wife was working her part-time cashier job at the same place I work at, the two newest sisters came to visit our home. They had been told we were a nice family by the previous sisters.
Both ladies lived in Utah. To do the year and a half mission’s trip they were on, their full-time jobs were left. During the week, they evangelized from 10am to 9pm. Each sister funded their own mission’s trip. For both of these young ladies, viewing of TV and the internet were avoided all together. I look forward to as wonderful a relationship as I had with the previous sisters.
It may sound bizarre, but getting to know the belief system of another faith makes your stronger. Take this bit of advice. When someone of another faith says something you disagree with, close your mouth, open your mind, and silently respect that person’s right to believe differently than you do. (It’s not worth an argument, is it?) So enjoy God’s variety in people and their faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...